1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview literacy lesson for Y4 - here's my plan so far. Any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kabak, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hi, I have my first interview after having had a baby this coming week and I'm really worried, having been out of it for a while. I left my previous school last October, so not too long, but long enough to feel out of touch, like I can't plan, have not a creative bone in my body. Yada, yada, yada.

I have to do 15-20 mins intro to a literacy session for year 4 (not long really) and show in the planning how the lesson would have progressed.

I'm planning to do something with Kit Wright's The Magic Box poem, with the learning objective something along the lines of: I can identify and choose imaginative words in a poem to paint a vivid picture.

I need to make the 15-20 minutes have pace, be exciting and engaging, I think, but normally if looking at poetry we would read the poem and then talk about it. This doesn't look like an especially creative activity. Not sure if we should look at just a section of the poem or if this would mean the children don't really get a feel for the kinds of 'things' that go in the magic box.

So, here are my thoughts so far. Needing improving I know, please don't shoot me down!

Main teaching/intro
    Look at poem or part of the poem (if full poem play video of Kit reading it on BBC). Explain it is full of sights, sound, textures that wouldn't normally go in a box but as it is a magic box, anything can go in. Explain that the author has carefully chosen words to give detail and create vivid images, and that each line contains a noun (the object going into the box) which is then elaborately discribed). In pairs chdn to identify a line where the choice of words builds a picture in their mind.

Show my/a magic box and say we're going to be thinking about things we would put in a magic box. Maybe take something out that I have put in (something I love) and as a class work on choosing words to paint a vivid picture of it. Repeat with some other items to model/help class build up a sentence/phrase to paint a vivid picture.

Now, either use the magic box tool on fieryideas.com to generate objects or give pairs a pile of cards with some categories/objects that could be starting points. (i.e an animal, a person, a smell, a taste, something bizarre/unusual, a sound). Chdn take a card, choose some words, put it into a sentence (if able). Share and feedback.

But not sure if this part should stay whole class or if it would work to give them a chance for some quick practice.

Independent work (I obviously wouldn't get to this stage at the interview)

Chdn to start developing their own Magic Box poems, writing what they would like to put in the box. Need to work on the success criteria.

Writing frames for LA and MA. HA to support writing with use of thesaurus.

10 minutes in: Mini plenary: listen to ideas so far. How can we improve?

10 minutes before final plenary, stop children and direct them to work on the final two stanzas, how the box is fashioned and what they would do in their box.

Plenary
    Share work: ask for examples of an animal, a smell, something bizarre and other categories so different chdn get to share bits of their work.

It feels a bit dull and after saying I provide exciting, engaging lessons, I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud. Also, I don't think I'll get to the fun part in the 15-20 minutes. Would it work to only look at some of the poem to reduce time. How long do you think is needed to talk about the poem. Sorry, to go on....

Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks
    K

2. I don't know why, but I can't seem to format this so that it's in paragraphs. Will try and re-send, as this is a nightmare to read like this.

3. Please be wary of putting interview lesson plans on here, it has been known for other interviewees to see an idea on the TES boards and use it. Now that's fine if it's at different schools and they put their own twist on someone elses initial ideas (after all we all store in our brains good ideas when we see them), but another post here recently said how at an interview there were 3 candidates that did the same lesson!! The HT had recognised the lesson plan as something straight off the TES boards and none of them got the job!
    However, I do think that idea has the potential to be exciting and engaging, but I'm not sure how far you will get with it in 20 minutes - but that then gives you the opportunity to talk about how you would develop the lesson further.
    Good luck with your interview!

4. I would echo the comments from stacy1004. Also, this is quite a common lesson plan for interviews as well, as I've seen quite a few posts using it and there are resources on TES about it. I would start with your lesson objective and then work from there, as that will be what the panel are looking for.

5. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

I would chose a different poem - I teach Year 4 and we have already used this poem as part of our Literacy plan and it is in the 100 Lessons New Framework Year 4 book. We extended to write a Class poem about a magic cauldron. Then an interviewee came to do their lesson to my class and their response was - we've done this already! Agree will rulan and stacy 1004 I'm afraid.

6. Thanks for your input. Is it possible to remove this thread, based on what you've said.

I know it sounds crazy but with a little one running around, I feel like I've got so little time to nail this and can't think of an alternative poem to use, develop etc.

I know it's not ideal to teach a lesson that's already been covered but just thinking that when looking at poetry, a film or anything again can bring up different thought, as would the activity. However, I totally see that if the aim is to engage and excite the children, it might not if they have been there before..

Not sure what to do now. Will need to think.

7. You could use pictures as a stimulus - or play a short film.

8. Another poem that worked really well with my old y5 class was ' A poem to be spoken silently' by Pie Corbett. I'm guessing this might have been 'done' at interviews a lot too???

9. Anthony Browne has some amazing picture books, and the words don't often tell the same story as the pictures, I've done a Children's Literature course and have read studies about how even very young children can detect the subtle hints in the pictures, Voices in The Park, Gorilla, Zoo all have beautiful pictures that alternative storylines could be written for.