1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lessons - What Are They Looking For?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by a_rooti, May 23, 2011.

1. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Hello, I was hoping to pick your brains a little...

I have an interview on Thursday and have been asked to prepare a lesson for a group starting their GCSE course in Spanish. There doesn't seem to be more information that that at the moment - except it is for a group of 20 year 9 students for half an hour. So what I am wondering is what *sort* of things are people looking for in interview lessons? I know what I'd look for (relationships with studetns, confidence, good planning, planning for progression, actual progression and use of TL) but that doesn't mean that *is* what people are looking for.

I was thinking of doing time phrases and comparing present tense and imperfect tense verbs with school subjects - lots of cognates, easy to spot differences and lots of speaking potential. What do you think?
    Ta [​IMG]

2. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Hello, I was hoping to pick your brains a little...

I have an interview on Thursday and have been asked to prepare a lesson for a group starting their GCSE course in Spanish. There doesn't seem to be more information that that at the moment - except it is for a group of 20 year 9 students for half an hour. So what I am wondering is what *sort* of things are people looking for in interview lessons? I know what I'd look for (relationships with studetns, confidence, good planning, planning for progression, actual progression and use of TL) but that doesn't mean that *is* what people are looking for.

I was thinking of doing time phrases and comparing present tense and imperfect tense verbs with school subjects - lots of cognates, easy to spot differences and lots of speaking potential. What do you think?
    Ta [​IMG]

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

This is exactly what I am looking for.

I would expect your lesson to be at least "Good" if I were to consider employing you - my HT will not offer jobs to "Satisfactory" lesson providers.

4. chickenkiev

chickenkiev New commenter

All the points you've highlighted are perfectly valid and you should have them in mind when planning your lesson. They'll also want to assess the pace of your lesson (if you're teaching for 30 mins, I'd change activity every 5 mins), whether you're making sure that all students are fully engaged (and how you deal with those who drift off) and if they're appropriately challenged. If you're not sure about what topic to teach, give the school a call to check what they know already.
    I hope this helps. Best of luck!

5. mpc

mpc

Not sure I'd change every five minutes - perhaps every 10?
    Make sure you build in lots of AFL opportunities and good luck!