1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sadandconfused, Jul 2, 2012.

1. I've got (yet another!) [​IMG]interview on Wednesday. I'm currently a PPA teacher and the main feedback I'm getting is that I don't know the curriculum well enough other than the area that I teach. There's not a lot I can do about that but I've got to wow them with a lesson enough that shows I can teach more than just the one subject (music)
    Anyhoo....
    20 minutes, mental/oral maths lesson with Year 1
    Is it a cop out to play interactive games on the whiteboard?
    If I do it on number bonds to 10 could I do a game on the IWB, a dice activity and then another game? Should I make up my own game?
    Thanks for your help/advice

2. I've got (yet another!) [​IMG]interview on Wednesday. I'm currently a PPA teacher and the main feedback I'm getting is that I don't know the curriculum well enough other than the area that I teach. There's not a lot I can do about that but I've got to wow them with a lesson enough that shows I can teach more than just the one subject (music)
    Anyhoo....
    20 minutes, mental/oral maths lesson with Year 1
    Is it a cop out to play interactive games on the whiteboard?
    If I do it on number bonds to 10 could I do a game on the IWB, a dice activity and then another game? Should I make up my own game?
    Thanks for your help/advice

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I suggest you repost your question on the Primary forum - most who hang out here teach secondary.

I would just comment that you can't guarantee there will be an IWB - or, if there is one, that it will be working.

4. Thanks for your input...over to primary I go!

5. The IWB is fantastic BUT sometimes it is used just for the sake of using it.
    Number bonds does not need the IWB. The kids have hands let them use them to get the idea of number bonds to 10, which the majority should know by the end of year 1,
    Also, I hope that you did not mean that the whole 20 minutes would be games on the IWB.
    If you have 20 minutes for a mental starter (which is normally only 5/10 mins) I would consider using mini whiteboards within the activity. This will also inform you of what they can do.
    Or lessons where it could be hands on.