1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, May 13, 2012.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Hi. I have to plan a 25 minute revision lesson for a mixed ability year 7 class.

my idea was to split it in to 3 parts 7,10,7 minutes. start off introducing myself and then picking students at random to give me one fact they know on the topic. this will be the starter to get them thinking and also a way for me to get an idea of where the students are. then the main activity will be a find someone who has the answer style activity.each child will have a list of questions and then one answer and so will need to go around the class to complete the sheet. i will also have one of the answers so that i will have spoken to every student during the activity. then the final part i am going to put statements on the board e.g. all acids are dangerous/a neutral substance will test green with UI students to use mini whiteboards to say true or false. when answer is false i will ask students to explain why.

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Hi. I have to plan a 25 minute revision lesson for a mixed ability year 7 class.

my idea was to split it in to 3 parts 7,10,7 minutes. start off introducing myself and then picking students at random to give me one fact they know on the topic. this will be the starter to get them thinking and also a way for me to get an idea of where the students are. then the main activity will be a find someone who has the answer style activity.each child will have a list of questions and then one answer and so will need to go around the class to complete the sheet. i will also have one of the answers so that i will have spoken to every student during the activity. then the final part i am going to put statements on the board e.g. all acids are dangerous/a neutral substance will test green with UI students to use mini whiteboards to say true or false. when answer is false i will ask students to explain why.

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

3. Congratulations on publishing your ideas and asking for advice. It looked good to me when I read it on Sunday, but I was busy and hoped someone else might comment.
    I was particularly pleased that you have the pupils carrying out an activity without it being a "practical" in the "Risk Assessment needed" style. I think you have chosen well and should be able to manage and control your class without subjecting them to the dangers inherent when interviewees use unknown equipment in unfamiliar situations with children whom they have never met before: you would certainly score highly on my criteria.
    Why use whiteboards? Traffic light cards (RED=NO, GREEN=YES [amber=not sure]) would work better if your questions are all "closed". Alternatively, thumb up/down means you don't need any equipment! Will you have enough questions for 7 minutes? Will you have a USB stick so you can project one question at a time on the whiteboard? (Use a large clear font!! Use Sentence case not all capital letters [shapes of words give a clue to reading them, especially for low ability pupils])
    Good luck.

4. Cosmic_Rainbow

didnt read this till after the interview. i risk assessed the activity as tuck in chairs and bags under tables when walking around room, lol. forgot to ask about whitreboards untill last 5 mins of lesson and so used thumbs up and down anyway :) the lesson went really well, i enjoyed it, all the students were engaged and the school have asked to see me again later this week so smiles all round :)