1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview lesson

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by teach78165, Apr 1, 2012.

1. hi i have to give a 30 min lesson for interview
    im thinking of using the magic box poem. it is for y2. i want them to work with talk partners and come up with similes to describe objects and pictures i will show.
    eg inside the box there is
    a lions roar as loud as thunder
    a rose as red as lips
    i think the ch should be able to link colours to similes but i am concerned about how i can show progress and differentiation.
    i would appreciate some feeedback as i am a NQT.

2. hi i have to give a 30 min lesson for interview
    im thinking of using the magic box poem. it is for y2. i want them to work with talk partners and come up with similes to describe objects and pictures i will show.
    eg inside the box there is
    a lions roar as loud as thunder
    a rose as red as lips
    i think the ch should be able to link colours to similes but i am concerned about how i can show progress and differentiation.
    i would appreciate some feeedback as i am a NQT.

3. I don't know this poem so unsure if this is right but...
    Start with looking at adjectives and then progress on to similes. Begin with colours then progress the higher ability to use wow words/adjectives/similes not linked with colour?
    Or higher ability could then go on to writing their own poem?
    Use sentence frames for low ability where they fill in the gaps.
    e.g .......... like .................
    ........................as red as.....................
    ........................as loud as....................
    Then allow them to try one of their own.
    You wil have to find out groupings/abilities to differentiate this.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

4. many thanks for your help

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Can I just say that it's great to see an NQT come on here with their own idea already mostly formed and then just seeking a touch of advice from other posters. Bravo. I get fed up of seeing posts basically asking for lesson ideas without having thought of their own first.
    I hope that doesn't seem patronising - I don't intend it to be - but I really do think it's the key to getting the job, so I'm sure you'll do very well!
    Good luck xx
    P.S. I would use some visuals as well for younger children. Some of the weakest may struggle even to visualise what it is you want them to make a simile about. So a picture of a rose etc, then encourage comparison. Meets your VAK requirement as well. xxx

6. thanks for yr post