1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'English' started by scobberlotcher, Oct 17, 2011.

1. I have no info on CE, but as an idea for non-fiction: how about looking at real-life accounts of WW1, or newspaper from the time, and relating it to Private Peaceful? Good luck!

2. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I don't know anything about CE either. However, I'd be inclined to contact the school and ask for a bit more input. When we're recruiting, we see this as initiative.

For example, ask if they have they actually read Private Peaceful yet? If so, which parallel texts have they studied (propaganda poems, Sassoon, Owen, recruitment campaigns, boy soldiers, witness accounts as mentioned by scobber, etc).
    It would be a nightmare to go along with a resource they've already looked at - PP is a really popular book, and teachers generally teach it using these types of resources.

3. I'd find either a short story that you can read in the lesson or the beginning of a story. I'd stick with fiction. Have a some shared/group reading and discuss how a main character would be feeling and what they would be thinking. You could either do some hot seating or collect ideas on the board. Some indy schools like empathic writing so I'd go down this route, with them producing a short diary entry based on how the character is thinking and feeling. You really need to know more details of those students on the SEN register and whether they have a TA. Empathic writing with an autistic child is creating a rod for your own back.

If you do want to stick with non fiction I'd go down the path of analysing how a magazine or newspaper advert is persuasive. Get them to annotate on an IWB if one is available.

Just some ideas. Above all, make sure you go in with a lesson that you are comfortable with and you can show that the children have learnt something. That's all they're looking for really, especially from an NQT.