1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by David Getling, Oct 14, 2011.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

The school wants to see how YOU teach. If you get the job you are going to have to work things out for yourself. So this is also how you should approach an interview lesson.

2. I normally say something very similar, but, in this case, I think that the OP hasn't just come on and said "interview lesson ... want to do something really jazzy ... any ideas?", and is just checking the content/level of the work.
    I don't think schools should give such a blank canvas as you immediately start making assumptions. I'd say run it past the HoD or class teacher if possible. Make it clear that you're not asking "will this get me the job?" but rather you want to make sure that your assumptions (already done 2D pythag, can use a calculator etc) are justified for these specific pupils - you could even say "checked the NC and this should be about right, but wanted to check so that I don't waste the pupils' time".

3. When I was in the same situation as you I was a bit iffy about approcahing the school, so I went with something with low access, but quite open ended - I did a maxbox investigation.
    Start with a 20cm by 20cm square and imagine cutting 1, then 2, then 3 etc cm squares from the corners to make an open-topped box - which cut gives the largest volume?
    This way you aren't making too many assumptions (they will prob know formula for volume but quick to remind them if not), and you can demonstrate you are teaching them to use a systematic approach for their results.
    They may well make the error of thinking the base is 20 - x not 20 - 2x.
    They will prob get to 3 before too long if they're good, so you ask them to work to a finer resolution (i.e. try 1dp accuracy).
    Once they get to 3.3, extension is to try it on a 100cm by 100cm square and try to generalise to an n by n square.
    (It's 1/6 of the side, btw)
    I love this task - you can use algebra to generalise it, and graph it on Autograph - really quite open ended and demonstrates your commitment to PLTS and G&T etc and gives opportunities for group work.
    For your pythag idea I would tell you that my top set Y9 have only just covered pythag and didn't know it at all before, so if you get a group who have it later in the year in their SOW you'll be in a spot of bother getting thru it all in half an hour. You need everybody to achieve something, and if you walk in with your resources and find yourself teaching pythag from scratch they'll wonder what the boxes were for and feel let down.
    I also like to use the room as my box that needs a long rod in it, you can do some very energetic arm-waving to show the big triangles on the floor etc!!

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

max box (or similar open ended task) sounds a good plan to me as it does not rely on prior learning.
    Maybe look on nrich website - if you haven't met this before, it is a great source of open ended tasks for all levels.
    I would imagine most top set yr 9s have NOT yet met Pythag. If you can contact the school to confirm that they have then your original plan could work - otherwise it will not as it assumes far too much.
    Please come back to us if you have another plan and want to run it by us.

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

answering my own post, if you do go for something "open ended" you will need to think carefully about how best to demonstrate your teaching in the time you have available

6. johnadams

johnadams New commenter

Thanks for the feedback. I posted because I just wanted to double-check I hadn't missed an elephant trap - which I kind of had (my placement schools both did 2D Pythagoras in Year 8 for top sets).
    After BombaySapphire's post I did manage to chat to the HoD, and the class did do 2D Pythagoras last year so I will be going ahead with the lesson as I outlined. Thanks for the posts - very much appreciated. It could have all gone wrong easily, so thanks for taking the time. Also thanks to Srawbs for the point about ensuring I demonstrate teaching - useful point.

7. You seem to have 2 names, sid/john?
    Good luck to both of you, anyway....