1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SarahJayne66, Jul 9, 2011.

1. SarahJayne66

SarahJayne66 New commenter

Hi
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, Sorry in advance if its not!
    I have an interview at last, (like many others getting worried) so I want to make sure I get the job. 20 mins numeracy lesson Year 1/2 mixed....
    This is my idea but not sure if it ok,
    I thought we could look at Position and Direction, my intro would be to discuss position words, then get them to do a short game as in go to back of classroom ,stand in front of Whiteboard etc. I have a brill resource where the children have to place shapes on to a grid but I'm worried that in order for them to achieve this they have to read the questions eg draw a triangle below the square,
    Is this idea rubbish, and can anyone help me tweak it. I thought I would try and get away from usual money etc
    Forgot the plenary would be to complete the grid as a class
    Thanks for reading
    SJ

2. I'm on the job hunt too and I'm probably not the most qualified person to actually comment!
    But I taught positional language earlier this year, in terms of a starter etc - discussing position words - one thing I did was to play 'I spy'. It was good in terms of AfL etc, because I asked them to draw me what was 'above' WB etc, and they all showed me and I asked them to tell me sometimes. It was a quick, simple thing as they were identifying what was in a position rather than putting it there themselves!
    When getting children back to the carpet etc. I also use positional language. So I send groups to sit 'around' the carpet, 'in front of' such and such a row.
    Not sure if my ideas are relevant, as you already have a plan (and I think it sounds good!!! - active). But thinking in terms of discussing positional words, 'I spy' might be a fun way to see what they can do quickly - that or 'Simon Says' - 'Simon says put your hands on top of your head', 'stand next to your talking partner' etc etc. My class liked it anyway!
    Good luck :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bobbity has been very kind, but s/he is obviously not a regular on this Forum, or s/he would have been less helpful!
    It's not a good idea to ask for - nor to give - ideas for interview lessons. I am going to give you now my Blue-Peter-I-prepared-it-earlier answer to this sort of request!
    Well done for getting that interview!
    However . . .
    Sorry, but . . . I don't give help, ideas, comments or ANYTHING about interview lessons.
    <u>And I don't suggest that any other poster does, either.</u>
    There are 3 main reasons for that:
    Firstly, it's got to be you, and your ideas, so that you feel comfortable about what you're doing, and so that the school sees you, and not me or somebody else. And secondly and more importantly, because <u>you</u> are the expert here, not me!
    So you will just have to sit down, think of what your aims are (including the Ofsted criteria - one of the links in the Interview Tips clickable in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum says what schools are looking for in interview lessons),
    Take a look also at my Possible interview questions clickable in the Welcome thread
    Make sure you plan a lesson that enables children to progress, and have a plan that you will press on the observer that includes differentiation, just in case you don't get round to using it in the lesson itself.
    And a third reason is that this is a public forum, and other candidates for the same job might see the suggestions too . . . and wouldn't you look daft doing the same thing!
    One of the other Heads on this Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had got from the Primary Forum on here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    Heads expect you to prepare your own lesson, so I'm afraid that you're going to have to sit down and work on it.
    But do go and look at the advice in the Welcome thread here on the JobSeekers Forum
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Sorry :/ I didn't really think about that at the time! Eep!
    However - good luck with the interview :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not to worry . . . the Regulars and Old Hands know this, but a Newbie doesn't!
    Good luck to you too!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. SarahJayne66

SarahJayne66 New commenter

Oh Dear... I am sorry, yes I get the point too!!! I have had a good think and have got it all prepared now.

Thank you for advice, I'm not a newbie as such but dont often post on forum.

Thanks for all the tips Theo and Bobbity

SJ

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best wishes, S-J !