1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fflossie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Unfortunately some school don't have enough pupils so that each year group has their own class. It's not an ideal situation, but unfortunately life is not perfect and we have to make the best of what we have. Living away from cities this situation isn't all that rare.
    I'm not expecting people to tell me exactly what I should do and how to teach outstanding lessons, I panicked yesterday when I saw I had the interview because it's been a few years since I've had one. It's just a shame that when people need encouragement, they get comments that make them wonder why they bother.
    My main idea at the moment is to group the children so that they are of mixed ability, and to give each group a series of pictures. The children will then use these pictures to make their own story. They will have 10-15 minutes to plan, and then will tell the rest of the class their story. At the end of the lesson, I will show the children an animation clip, which is where I have had the pictures from in the first place.
    I believe that this develops their language skills, and will show differentiation because of the mixed ability groups. The children will have wipe boards to jot their ideas down, but this will be mainly an oracy lesson so writing is not required.
    The planning is in the early stages, but how does this sound?

2. I teach in a 4/5/6 class and I know of quite a few teachers in my rural area who teach 3/4/5/6, so it's not that unusual. It has many benefits, for both pupils and teachers, but obviously it has its drawbacks too.
    In my 4/5/6 class, I know that there would be children (from across all the age groups) who need shorter, sharper activities than 10/15 minutes planning time in groups - it would give some of them the opportunity to mess around, some would do nothing.... I think your focus needs to be tighter.
    How about some spoken games in pairs as a warm up - something like "Fortunately, Unfortunately" - or have a look at the Pie Corbett Talk for Writing activities on the standards site (if they're still there!)
    Then, I think I'd be tempted to do some poetry. Can you find a poem that can be split into the number of verses that you have groups? I'd give each group a verse to perform, using their voices to make sound effects, and to really use their voices to make the poem sound interesting - playing with the words and sounds in the poem. How about a nonsense poem for even greater play with the words?
    Each group could rehearse for 5 mins, then pair up with another for some peer-assessment of their performance, then the whole class perform, with each group performing their own verse in order, with a two stars and a wish assessment at the end.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Some good observations from elisabeth but basically I think you're heading in the right direction.
    By the way congratulations on posting your ideas in such a format that people can't just copy them, so you're already showing ideas & initiative!