1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Independent' started by thegirlwho, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've been succsessfully shortlisted for a job in boys prep school that I'd really like, and I'm being interviewed next week. The interview includes a 25 minute lesson with a year 3 or 4 class and the only direction I've been given is "it should be a creative writing topic".
    Anyway, I've had a few ideas, and I'm going to have to have 2 plans, one for year 3 and one for year 4 (though I'm basing them both on the same extract from a book)
    I was thinking of doing some kind of cloze procedure excersise for the year 3. I thought I'd get them to work in pairs to come up with the missing adjectives and similies from an extract from a book, and then as a class we could discuss which words they used and look at the words the author chose, and explore how these work to create a mysterious atmosphere.
    My question is, is this really creative writing? I have specifically been told they chose creative writing as it was an open ended and flexible topic. I don't really feel like 25 minutes is really enough time to get the children actually writing something successfully starting from scratch and that a cloze procedure excerise could be quite successful in getting them to think about how to do creative writing well?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I am not an English teacher, nor do I teach in a prep school, but one would expect that the mechanics of teaching are what is primarily being assessed.
    What they will be looking for is if you can pitch the work at the right level, be enthusiastic, knowledgeable and approachable. Do you talk to the children and will you be someone that will work well within the ethos of the school.
    One other detail, which I hope you will not take offence to, is that there are errors in your post. It may very well be a hastily written post and I am not making a judgement call on it. Just be careful you do not do this in the lesson.

3. Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that's what they'd be after.

And as for the errors, I'll be sure not to make mistakes like that in any kind of interview.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm not an English teacher either, but in my own subject (music) it is standard practice to take some aspect of an existing work as the starting point for creative work. Otherwise, few pupils have the least idea where and how to start if left to their own devices.