1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - year 5 maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DemonicLemon, Oct 9, 2007.

1. DemonicLemon

DemonicLemon New commenter

Have been invited for an interview on Monday at a fab school. I need to teach a Year 5 maths lesson for 30 minutes. Any ideas for a real Wow! lesson I can do in 30 minutes? I was teaching shape last week and was thinking about doing 3D shape nets maybe...Or should I do something more number orientated?

2. DemonicLemon

Have been invited for an interview on Monday at a fab school. I need to teach a Year 5 maths lesson for 30 minutes. Any ideas for a real Wow! lesson I can do in 30 minutes? I was teaching shape last week and was thinking about doing 3D shape nets maybe...Or should I do something more number orientated?

3. Why don't you do area or perimeter then you can include calculation too.

4. Personally I would ring up and find out what they have covered so far, they might have done your lesson the previous week. I would want to know whether it was a streamed or mixed ability group, whether there is a TA in, what they have in the way of number fans, whiteboards etc. You need to show that you can deliver an interesting, well structured lesson that all the children succeed in. Through the lesson you can demonsrate your awareness of different learning styles, the new emphasis on speaking and listening, differentiation and assessment as well as your ability to control the class. If you have a great activity that you know works, build it around that. Good luck.

5. DemonicLemon

The letter says an interactive whiteboard is available and the class has 30 children. I know (from visiting the school) that they use Promethean boards ,I have a SMARTboard, how different are they? Can I create my IWB resources in Word (as I don't have ACTIVPrimary)?
    Would the school think I was fussy and bothering them if I ring to ask about what they had covered and resources etc., the letter said 'a maths lesson of my choice'.
    I would like to know the ability range, so I can pitch my activities, I am guessing they will want the children to actually 'do' something in the 30 minutes!

6. DemonicLemon

Went to speak to my HT to ask for the time off for my interview and now I feel really down about the whole thing.
    She asked me twice if I really wanted to go to the interview (yes, why else apply for the job?!), then outright asked me if I thought I was 'strong enough' to do the job!
    Has completely unsettled me...which is probably what she wanted...5 minutes later she was giving me advice on what to wear!

7. don't try and be too fanango. they'll be looking for you to be creative but not at the expense of behaviour. stick to something YOU are really solid on so you don't get caught by random clever kid! break it up, don't spend too long on the carpet, get them all engaged on something quickly and keep up the pace. good luck

8. DL maybe she is trying to put you off so that she doesn't lose you!

9. DemonicLemon

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
    Have the whole weekend to plan lesson and prepare for interview (and worry about it!)
    Gonna get an early night tonight though.
    :)

10. DemonicLemon

Anyone fancy having a look at my lesson and resources? Need an objective eye and my OH isn't a teacher!

11. My HT was pretty much the same to me when I said I had an interview. They then said when I told them I had the job that it didn't surprise them that I had got it. I think it might be to try keep you. Some heads act like that out of insecurity!

I would keep your lesson quite interactive. Have you got 3D shapes to use for your lesson. Don't know about the smartboard to promethean. Good luck and all the best!!