1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson - Year 10

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by amydennis, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I was hoping for some advice I'm one of last years NQT's who is still looking for a post. I have an interview on 7th March and have been asked to teach a 50 minute lesson to Year 10 (Higher/foundation) class: Revisit Pythagoras' Theorem - Calculating all sides.
    This is all the information I have been given. So I know I need to have some easy questions and some more difficult questions. But seeing as this is a revisit I'm a bit stuck on ideas for what to do.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Amy

2. Hi.
    I was hoping for some advice I'm one of last years NQT's who is still looking for a post. I have an interview on 7th March and have been asked to teach a 50 minute lesson to Year 10 (Higher/foundation) class: Revisit Pythagoras' Theorem - Calculating all sides.
    This is all the information I have been given. So I know I need to have some easy questions and some more difficult questions. But seeing as this is a revisit I'm a bit stuck on ideas for what to do.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Amy

3. DM

DM New commenter

4. Thanks for the what not to do DM.
    Was thinking that I would ask if they know what Pythagoras' is, what it is used for and how to complete the calculations then give the students some triangles to work out the sides of and maybe make a poster or something, with examples and instructions, to help others.
    Then maybe in the plenary, have a discussion on how to work out the sides when different measuresments are given, such as the perpendicular height of the triangle etc.

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I hate to sound rude but this isn't exactly difficult.

Students are revisiting. Big clue here. Find out what they know first, and build on that. AfL. You need to be flexible, and make it crystal clear when you are adapting your teaching plans to their needs - that's the ofsted game....

Set a learning objective, and make sure you refer to it during the lesson: eg. by the end of the lesson, they'll be confident in applying pythag in problem solving situations - they may be able to understand why it words - ie a proof...

Make sure they have strategies for using pythag and that they understand when to use this method. You may wish to concentrate on written methods - I'd personally like that, but it isn't every school's priority - you need to get a feel for what sort of school it is - expectations, etc - website should do this for you. If time, move on to a simple proof. Plenty of these on the internet. The one on areas of triangles/rectangles/squares should suffice. Can't be bothered to find a link but am sure you'll find it somewhere.

Remember, you don't necessarily need to have an 'all-singing-all dancing' lesson. Above all, they'll want to see you looking comfortable in action in the classroom - a strong classroom presence with good behaviour management, well organised and good interations with students.

6. The key thing you need to identify is whether they are subtracting when they calculate shorter sides. This is such a common error.
    Make sure you spend time working on an example which will expose whether or not this is an issue for many students in this class (it will depend on their prior teaching). Ensure your lesson can effectively cope with the outcomes of this trial. If they some or all of them are confident you will need some stretching questions to keep them challenged.
    Good luck with your interview amydennis.
    Great link DM[​IMG]

7. Don't go into teaching is my sugestion.
    Sorry not to dip that line in the sugar bowl but please, cmon, you will have to teach 20+ lessons a week and you are struggling for one on a topic (as stated above) that is not very hard and has a massive amount of interactive/practical/written examples.
    The class is perfect for differentiation too. One of your Q standards is to know the curriculum. Reading that will show the requirements for higher students and foundation. Foundation students will rarely be given problems to find one of the shorter sides and generally most examples are built off pythagorian triples. Higher students will also study 3d pythag so it can go off in that direction, heck you can go anywhere with the top kids. WHat about rich tasks as extension/functional stuff and compounded problems......the list goes on and on
    'Revisit' is heaven as you can pull ideas back from prior learning with starters fcusing on sqaures/square rooting for lower ability/ naming sides for others and even have the top kids look at leaving answers in surd form
    The scope is so endless its scary and with al due respect after a year on a PGCE and a passion for maths this stuff should be a case of "What am I going to have to leave out to keep in the time limit?"
    So, sorry for the blunt nature of the post, it just seems so many people with so few ideas seem to make it so far down the line

8. Have you also thought about using pythagoras to check whether an angle is actually a right angle? Give a triangle with all 3 sides. Can use pythagoras and if it works out correctly, the angle opposite the longest side must be 90 degrees. If it fails, the angle isn't a right angle.

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Oh come on.
    I doubt if the poster is really asking "how do I revise pythag with a y10 group", they're really asking "how do I make that look really good in an interview?"
    They are different questions. And most teachers [with jobs] don't have to ask the second one all that often.

10. this comes from a junior school teacher - so ignore as necessary - but as it's a revisit, could you start by putting one of the all-colour, all-moving java proofs of pythag on the whiiteboard, letting it run without title and seeing if they know what it is? you could run it a second time when everyone knows what - they're watching - tho your top group might ask 'how does that work then'and i'm not sure i would like to go thro a proof formally with a mixed group i didn't know well
    i'm sure you could also find some area problems that mix pythag and breaking down complex areas - at least proving the area of a paralellogram formula, for top groups

11. No, seriously, if you cannot manufacture one lessons for an interview the the ideas are going to dry up very quickly.
    In my post I go on to say its not about not knowing pythagoras (Which I think you refer to) but being clueless in what to do in a lesson in terms of content, structure and progression from the last lesson despite being given the ideal topic and class.
    Im not suggesting "Dont go into teaching becuase you dont know the topic" I am saying if someone is not creative enough to develop a lesson alone on possibly the widest topic going then IMO they should consider how they will cope with 20+ lessons a week factoring in harder (to teach) topics, behaviour and all the other jazz that goes with teaching.
    I dont expect many will agree but IMO this is bread and butter stuff especially as they have all the current trends in pedagogy being thrown at them in a PGCE. Delivering a flase, staged lesson someone else created (essentially) is only going to bit people in the butt when they are expected to do 20 of them (or close to them) week in week out.
    The lesson structure has been made very easy for people to follow:
    • Starter
    • Main stuff
    • Plenary
    With outcomes/objectives and differentiation. IMO every teacher (having to work with that) should be able to take the cookie cutter and insert the topics in and if its an interview lesson it should be about what you need to trim down, not what someone else can fit in.
    The post you make has highlighted one aspect of my original point yet has not dealt with the text beyond that.

12. googolplex

The OP said they are 'stuck for ideas'..... Betamale's response is highly appropriate IMO.

13. ooh i love that - i have finished that module for this year - but i think i may just revisit it
    the things you learn on here....

14. Sounded okay to me. She just sounded like someone who was trying to puzzle out where to start in her thinking about this lesson because she hasn't taught one on revision of Pythagoras before and was hoping for some advice.

She didn't sound like someone who deserved a good kicking to me.

15. i think foy y6, the semi-circle would be easier - because the area being d sq/8, it's obviously dependant on pythag
    i can't get my head around triangles with kids who don't know what a sine is

16. Don't even think of going down the route of the rights and wrongs of interacting with people on an internet forum.
    Advice was given, it just wasnt what some wanted to hear in sme posts.

17. ignore me - i figured it out
    i shall now go and sit in the dunce's corner [​IMG]

18. googolplex

She didn't get a good kicking from me. She got some advice. Not all of it positive, but there was plenty to go on. Take it or leave it. Why doesn't she go the whole hog and ask one of us to attend the interview on her behalf?

19. I've a version of this I call 'real or fake' - around 20 triangles sketched out as right angled triangles with side lengths written on. Some are genuine right angled triangles; some are not and others are pythagorean triples but the dimension on the hypotenuse is not the longest side!

Gets discussions going in the class.

20. this is ict not maths - but a spreadsheet that throws up pythagorean triplets is great fun
    ps nazard - wasted time in inset day sharing your ideas - wow rating all round!!