1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson...would you include worksheets? Dear Theo?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by computer2000, Feb 15, 2016.

1. computer2000

computer2000 New commenter

Hi. I have 35 min observation...practical subject - music...would you advice to include worksheets? I normally preoare lesson around singing and practical activities but perhaps i could inckude a bit of written work ?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Personally I think worksheets are Death.

In any sort of lesson . . .

If you feel the need (in 35 minutes? It'll take'em that long to find their pens!), I wouldn't use a worksheet.

Why don't you have as part of the lesson plan Follow-up work, which would include writing?

P.S. Have you been to Jobseekers and found all the interview advice articles? Tag me @TheoGriff on there if not, and I'll give you the link.

Best wishes

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As Theo says, there is a big difference between written work and worksheets. If you want to include some written work, go for it (although personally I think a nice practical lesson would be just as good), but no need for a worksheet that will make everyone's written work look the same.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

35 minutes and you want worksheets? A micro writing exercise might be useful, but in 35 mins you don't want to be giving them worksheets.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

As a History teacher, on interviews I have included templates for source work, but the problem with a work sheet is it is essentially you doing all the work for them.

6. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

My best advice (as a drama teacher), is to keep it mega simple for an interview lesson. My most successful interview lesson ever did include worksheets - but they were practical scripts with very brief instructions on, and just served to speed up my delivery slightly. The biggest mistake I make with interviews is over planning & running out of time. 35 mins is shorter than you think!

7. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't bother, particularly not for something like music, unless it was a score, or song lyrics, I wouldn't expect students to write anything in a music interview lesson

8. poltergeist

poltergeist New commenter

I'd say definitely not worksheets - but if you want them to write something down in a way that captures progress, get them to do it on a post-it at the end. Good luck!