1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Interview lesson - Y3/4 - 40mins - panic!
    'I have 5 coins in my bag. How much money might I have?'
    or
    'I spend £4.18 at the shop (price list given). What different combinations of things might I have bought?'
    Extension: I got £4.18 change from a tenner. What different combinations of items might I have bought?
    Which do you prefer?
    Finding it hard to think how I'll differentiate, especially the second one. For the first one I thought I could differentiate down, if necessary, by asking: 'How many ways can you give change for 20p?'. I'm not sure how to extend the activity, though. If I make it so they have 1 note and 5 coins, that's not really challenging them, it's just keeping them occupied.
    I have previously taught lessons similar to the first idea, though, so I would probably feel more confident about wheeling it out...
    I would really, really appreciate your thoughts xx

2. Interview lesson - Y3/4 - 40mins - panic!
    'I have 5 coins in my bag. How much money might I have?'
    or
    'I spend £4.18 at the shop (price list given). What different combinations of things might I have bought?'
    Extension: I got £4.18 change from a tenner. What different combinations of items might I have bought?
    Which do you prefer?
    Finding it hard to think how I'll differentiate, especially the second one. For the first one I thought I could differentiate down, if necessary, by asking: 'How many ways can you give change for 20p?'. I'm not sure how to extend the activity, though. If I make it so they have 1 note and 5 coins, that's not really challenging them, it's just keeping them occupied.
    I have previously taught lessons similar to the first idea, though, so I would probably feel more confident about wheeling it out...
    I would really, really appreciate your thoughts xx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like the first one more, but only as a short starter, maybe leading in to a lesson where you use the second?

4. I love the first investigation, as do my class! We usually discuss the various coins and notes and talk about 'gold', 'silver' and 'bronze' coins. My lower set Y4 then enjoy: I have 2 gold coins, 2 silver and 1 copper - how much money could I have? I differentiate by giving the less able some coins so that they can actually put them in front of them and add up accordingly. Some of them find the concept of coins very tricky when they can't see them and often forget the denominations. Could you extend the more able by asking for the highest total you could make with any 5 coins, 5 coins all of different denominations, 5 notes etc? We also like to have a shop where I price up a load of items and they pay with the coins and work out change etc.
    Good luck!

5. Thanks sooo much for replying, Minnie. I think I'm most drawn to the first one, too.
    Well, I think I'm going to put on my plan that if I was the class teacher, I would 'bring money to life' and go all cross-curricular with a mini-Enterprise topic, where the chn got some real money and then really budgeted it to buy materials, make stuff and sell it on at a PTA event or something.
    Or did you mean just use the 'I have 5 coins...' as the OMS for this interview lesson and have a different main activity?
    I had also been thinking about err... budgeting. Something to lead into the imaginary Enterprise task. Like, here is a list of party stuff, you have £3.50 to spend, whaddaya going to buy?
    Bit boring? Meh?
    Thanks again, Minnie, I've said it before but I'll say it again: legend xx

6. Ooh, another reply! Thank you, Teacher1974! Yeah, one of my all-time classic lessons (!) is: 'I have 12 corners in my bag. Which shapes might I have?' Can't even remember where I pilfered that (maybe here!) but I love it!
    Oh right well thank you - you have given me some serious food-for-thought here! I have only ever taught Y3 for a day or two on supply so I need to go away and seriously study Y3 outcomes and LOs etc. Maybe will do the 'How many ways can I give change for 20p?' as the OMS, leading on from discussing all the coins and that can help me assess who should be doing what for the main activity. Then start everyone off on copper/silver/gold and those that are finding it easy, move them onto 5 coins of any colour...
    Potentially stupid question: would it be bad to give them real money?! Obviously I'd want it back ha ha, I don't mean in return for an easy ride at the School Council interview. I mean instead of going out and buying plastic money especially?
    I'm a bit sad cos I like playing Pass the Parcel as a plenary for whizzy lessons (when music stops they pick out a question) but that's not going to work for money
    xx

7. I only ever give them real money unless I need to use extra large coins for some reason. I hate plastic money.

8. I can't see why you shouldn't use real money; our KS1 classes try to use proper coins as much as possible so the children get a real feel for it. They keep it in tins in their cupboards! KS2 don't but that's because our cupboards are smaller and all the maths stuff is stored centrally! I don't blame you for not wanting to buy plastic coins!
    Could the pass the parcel still work if they drew out a card with a total on it and all tried to make it using the fewest coins possible? They could record on whiteboards?
    I love teaching money and might just get the coins out tomorrow!

9. Haz, you do use real money?
    Teacher1974 - PASS THE PARCEL IS BACK IN TOWN! [​IMG]
    Hehehe yay. Thank you, reckon I'm going to use that for me plenary xxx

10. I'm going to try and download the Pink Floyd song about money (perhaps called... 'Money')!!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

40 minute lesson.

Starter as per your original question one working in pairs. 10 minutes?

20 minutes playing pass the parcel with little question cards 'How can I make ....? Or how much change?'.

Plenary, whole class party plan on IWB, dragging what they chose into a trolley. (No I haven't a clue how to make such a game, but it sounds cool!) 10 minutes.

12. Ha ha ha you're like (hope you watch it!) Jim off the Apprentice: Multi-million pound advertising, Harry Potter sponsorship, an actual endorsement from Jesus... [​IMG] This does sound absolutely great and I am wondering if I might know any TechHeads who owe me a favour.....
    You're an absolute gem, seriously. So clear all the time. You are very sweet to spend time giving advice to silly newbies like me xxx

13. It's a cool song, but I'd be a bit wary about some of the lyrics...
    "Money, it's a hit...
    Don't give me that do-goody-good bullsh*t...."

C x

14. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha [​IMG]
    Thank Gawd for you!!!
    There's 'Money Changes Everything' by the Smiths but I'm fairly sure it's just an instrumental and so unless the Head happens to be a Morrissey enthusiast, it would be lost. But at least it wouldn't pollute their minds!!!
    Maybe that ABBA song...
    Losing focus on the actual aims a bit, here..!

15. You COULD always go the whole hog and use "we don't need no education..." for the plenary as well [​IMG]
    On the other hand, a slightly more conventional strategy might be safer...
    "Five current buns in the baker's shop...." Perhaps???
    Hope the interview goes well, whatever you go for in the end!
    C x

16. Jessie J - It's not about the money... Haven't listened that closely to the lyrics though!