1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson tomorrow. Advice greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MissCranie, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Salut tout le monde.

I have an interview tomorrow for a fabulous job that I really want and I need some advice on the structure of the lesson. Its a 40 minute lesson on L'environnement with a top set S3 class based loosely around Metro pour l'écosse rouge.

So far I am beginning the lesson by introducing myself and highlighting the lesson objectives, these being: development of vocabulary in relation to environmental issues, further practice of the structure il faut + infinitive and consolidation of the conditional tense using the new vocabulary.
    I am planning on starting with a stimulus music video by Yannick Noah entitled "Aux arbres citoyens", as this is playing I will ask pupils to note any vocabulary down which they hear/recognise and this will be collated. I will then use this to lead into a power point full of key vocabulary in relation to environmental issues, focussing on pronunciation and consolidation through matching images to vocabulary in the conditional tense. This will be followed by a sort listening exercise and a gap fill exercise on the smartboard. Finally I plan on forming 6 groups with the pupils and handing out a text on the environment which contains the key vocabulary. The pupils will then be given a list of HOTS questions and will be responsible for devising 3 questions per group which will be passed along and answered by their peers. Each group will have a different section of the HOTS from remembering all the way to creating.
    After a plenary game on the Smartboard, I was also planning on handing out some sort of evaluation sheets to the pupils at the end of the lesson to gauge their feedback...scary thought.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any thoughts/criticisms?

Thanks

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Are they already familiar with the song and the vocabulary? I've just googled the song and I doubt my top set S3 would get many words unless we'd already studied it. It's not a very easy song at all.

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I like the song and presumably you're going to play it with the text. There are enough words there that are similar to English or that they may have met before.
    It sounds like a really nice lesson to me but I'd think carefully about the timing - can you really squeeze that much into 40 minutes? And what exactly is the point of the feedback at the end? You want them to reflect on what they've learnt, but not on whether they thought you were a good teacher- that's not their job. Also, since you don't know the group, think of alternatives in case things don't go quite as planned - i.e. what are you going to do if they find a particular exercise difficult, what are you going to do if the sound doesn't work on the song etc.For example they might find asking questions in French difficult.

4. I have been told that they will be familiar with some of the vocabulary but that they haven't tackled the topic of l'environnement. I realise that the Yannick Noah song is difficult, however they have been studying French since P4 and I'll be using this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdM38O_NKI&list=PL2DEEB3D0EFD398E8&index=7&feature=plpp_video should have clarified! Ooops

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How did you get on?

6. Hope you got some happy news after your interview! Just wanted to add that as friendly and supportive the TES boards are, I would still be careful about posting exactly what you are planning to do during an interview lesson - what if I was being interviewed for the same job, you may have given me some good ideas! ;-)

Hope you got good news!

7. Hey all!
    Thanks for the good advice regarding not blabbing about everything i'm planning on doing! I'll heed that in the future. [​IMG]
    I ended up changing the lesson a little anyway as I felt it was a but too much to do during my initial lesson.
    Good news though.
    I got the job!
    So thanks again for your guidance. [​IMG]

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Now, if we were on Jobseekers forum and you'd posted a 'Dear Theo I got the job' thread, you'd have been awarded one of his shiny stars and possibly been congratulated by others.
    So [​IMG]

9. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

And why should they have all the fun?
    Well done!!! Interviews are tough! Here's to you: [​IMG]
    And also [​IMG]
    Perhaps not shiny but the intention is there [​IMG]

10. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

CONGRATS!
    [​IMG]

11. musiclover1