1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson tips (NOT ideas!!)

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by janegeography, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I usually give the students white stickers that they write their names on and stick onto themselves so that I can call them by name - ask them to write in large, clear letters.

2. There are lots of things you can do and you just have to find what's right for you. You need to slow your mind down and focus on the task in hand. I would think of something positive to think, e.g. I am a good teacher, and pause slightly before answering questions. Practice your answers to common questions before interviews so that you know what you want to say for questions that commonly come up.
    I think you need to show passion and enthusiasm for your subject and be able to convey this to the students. Also, you need to show good behaviour management - the stickers help here! Not allowing students to talk over you or shout out. That and all the other things too!
    Good luck.

3. Definitely show that you are a pupil centred teacher, know at least 5-10 of their names by the end of the lesson.
    A clear aim, lots of interaction and peer learning with a good summary. Try to enjoy it (easy to say while typing at a keyboard)

Good luck

4. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I think you still need to go down the starter-main activity-plenary route. Even if your starter and and plenary are only a few minutes each. Focus on one thing as other posters have suggested.

5. Differentiated learning objectives- a must for me as an SLT member who observes these sorts of lessons when candidates are on interview.

Try and have some sort of activity that appeals to the V A K in the class- It is possible even in a micro lesson

Totally agree with another poster about names- if they are brought into the room you can get a couple of the names on the way in. If they are sat there already get them to 'sticker up'. Take your own stickers!!!!

mini plenary after first objective met. Not knowing your subject area makes it harder to give advice.

Praise for those doing what they should be doing. Notice them, make them smile. This is something I see so rarely and yet is one of the most effective strategies for good behaviour management in the classroom.

as for 30 minutes- quick starter, one or two short activities, plenary - make it clear in the plan how you would have used homework to extend learning in the classroom.

Best of luck. I loved being a HoD.