1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview lesson structure

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by goosey200, Mar 7, 2011.

1. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Don't worry, I'm not asking for lessons ideas!! I've been shortlisted for an interview (Hooray!) and, although I've had several interviews in the last year, this is my first for a Reception job.
    The teaching task is 20 mins long. From my experience of working in Reception, this seems a long time!! I've usually inputted for 10 mins or so then the children go and 'choose' whilst I work with a small group on a short activity.
    I'm guessing I need to adapt for the observation but I'm worried that if it's too structured then it'll look like I'm not aware of the EYFS and pitch my lesson to high for the children. Any advice from experience would be gratefully received, thank you!

2. Hi goosey
    I'm not exactly an expert in these matters, but I have done two interview lessons recently which were well-received. They weren't as short as yours though - so I might not be the best person to offer advice.
    I used the lessons as an opportunities to showcase my teaching style and the types of learning activities that I employ. I focused on developing my relationships with the classes and showing my teaching personality. I would find this hard in 20 mins, especially with an EYFS class, but I'm sure you will figure out what you need to do.
    Maybe another poster can suggest something more specfic for that age group?
    Good luck,
    sparkly

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I'm a PGCE student but have had placements in two Reception classes, and in both I've been told that 20 minutes is about right for a carpet input.