1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - Standards box

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by zippycfb, Jan 15, 2012.

1. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Got an interview coming up and the only brief I've been for the lesson given is 'Geometry' and that it will be 25 minutes. Found a nice activity in the Standards Unit box that I would like to use with a bit of adapting and I just wondered if this was acceptable? Will they see it as me being lazy? Obviously it will require quite a bit of input from me, it won't just be a case of 'here you go, get on with this. I just think it would work really nicely in the short space of time given and they will get something out of it hopefully.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

In a 25 minute lesson ( or any lesson, actually ) I would be looking for the following:
    Manner in the classroom. Does the teacher engage the children? Does he or she respond to changing dynamics in the classroom? Are they receptive to how the children are learning and are they aware of who is struggling and who needs to be given more challenging material?
    Content: Is it appropriate to the needs of the children? If not ( as may happen with a class you have never seen before ) does the teacher respond and change the content to make it appropriate?
    The actual lesson itself: Does the lesson flow or is it static ( a series of disjointed exercises )? Does the teacher explain well with differentiated work that builds upon the explanation or is it a case of "here are some questions, get on with them"?
    Then there are the other things which you cannot quantify but have a gut feeling for. Does the teacher enjoy being in the classroom? Does he or she enjoy being with children? Is this a person I could work with?
    These are some of the things I look for. Clearly, every school is different, but it doesn't really matter where you get the material from. The important thing is making it work.

3. A good teacher selects resources to meet the needs of their students - often this will be stuff that already exists but occasionally it will be something developed especially for a given lesson as nothing suitable could be found.

I'd have no problems with you using a resource that already exists. My no.1 interview question is always "Why did you choose to do that lesson?" or similar - I'd expect any candidate to be able to explain their choice of resources etc. as part of that answer.

Good luck.

4. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Thanks Karvol, you make some good points that are easy to forget when you are in 'panic interview mode'!
    Thanks also MathsHOD, I feel I can definitely justify the activity in light of the Ofsted criteria requiring learning to be 'pupil led' and the fact that the mathematics curriculum is underpinned with equipping pupils with the skills to be 'problem solvers.'

5. Be careful with answers like this ... it's a fine line between sounding like you are saying what they want to hear, and saying things which you truly believe in. I think I said similar things but presented them as being how I wanted my lessons to go, and then, with a bit of humour, "which is lucky, since that's what Ofsted are looking for too". Hard to put into words exactly what I mean, but hopefully that makes sense.