1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - seems so short?!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by scout1984, Apr 20, 2011.

1. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Hi all
    Am having my first interview in three years next Wednesday. Am just looking at the brief:

You will be required to teach a 20 minute lesson to KS3 students on the following ;

Classroom Objects; Singular and plural. The verb avoir (J?ai, tu as , il/elle) and the negative

It seems such a short time to teach all that and prove learning has taken place! How many classroom objects would people recommend - 6?

Any help/ ideas gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I usually give candidates 20-25 minutes for a lesson and they manage to impress in that time slot. If I'm interviewing a number of candidates, I need to see them all teach. I therefore like to assign two candidates to each lesson/class, so that there is still time in the day to tour the school, answer questions, meet the department and conduct the interviews!
    Might I suggest this wonderful activity from Languages Online as a possible resource?
    http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/french/sect33/no_02/no_02.htm

3. BrightonEarly

4. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Thank you for your help BrightonEarly. I have so many questions to ask them - will they tell me how many pupils/ the set etc? All it says 'a full itinerary will be provided on the day'. How many items do you recommend?
    Thank you

5. BrightonEarly

You would be advised to contact the school and ask these questions in advance to help you to prepare an appropriate lesson - especially the size of the class, ability of the pupils in the class. Depending on the lesson you plan, you might also need to know if they have an interactive whiteboard in the classroom, and if so what type.

6. BrightonEarly

Once you know the ability level, then you can decide on the number of items. If you use the Morpion activity from languages online, you would be choosing from those items. If you want pupils to look up plurals, you would also need to know if a set of dictionaries can be made available and to know which dictionary they have so that you can check in advance which of the nouns are actually listed in the dictionary - that would also help you to decide which items to include.

7. BrightonEarly

But I wouldn't ask them how many items you should teach, that is part of your planning.