1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson- primary maths (Y3)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 17013727, Apr 22, 2018.

1. 17013727

17013727 New commenter

Hello,

I am after some advice!

I have my first interview next week for a classteacher (I am nearing the end of my PGCE). The school would like me to teach a 1 hour maths lesson to Y3. All I have been told is to include mastery skills in my lesson and that the class is mixed ability.

I have a few ideas but the one that sticks out is an adaptation of this: https://nrich.maths.org/6274 (Magic Vs). The concept would be exactly the same but I would not present it as Magic Vs. Essentially, all that the children would be doing is addition of up to 4 numbers, dividing by 2 and working through a problem logically. I would get them to work in pairs or small groups. For HA pupils I can get them to look at bigger numbers and see if they can recognise patterns. Would this activity work?

Does anybody have any thoughts? Is this too difficult for Y3? Do I need to make it simpler? What else would you recommend?

I appreciate any advice- I am not really sure where to start!

Thank you.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Whatever you do, make sure that you demonstrate the inclusion of scaffolding for low ability. Ask for their usual resources to be available for them to select from (and find out what they usually use)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Giving bigger numbers is not really challenge for HA. If they can add 4 digit numbers they can add 5, 6 and 7 digit numbers. Give them missing box equations and links to measures then word problems where they need to explain.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.