1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson? Please help!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by hana54, Feb 11, 2012.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me. I got a letter saying I have an interview at a school in a week. They want me to teach a lesson to a group of 21 ks2 children, and they want me to present a problem which would consist of finding an object/item of clothing or something unusual in the classroom or outdoors and this be investigated in some way. Its 45 minutes long. I have been wracking my brains but I can't think of anything!! Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thank you

2. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me. I got a letter saying I have an interview at a school in a week. They want me to teach a lesson to a group of 21 ks2 children, and they want me to present a problem which would consist of finding an object/item of clothing or something unusual in the classroom or outdoors and this be investigated in some way. Its 45 minutes long. I have been wracking my brains but I can't think of anything!! Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thank you

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

How about a measuring activity? Something could have gone stolen / been messed up in the classroom and there could be evidence in the form of an item of clothing (e.g. a hat / gloves). They could then do an investigation to determine who it might have been - e.g. a girl or a boy (do boys have larger head spans / hand spans than girls), or if it is a mixed age class the difference between the year groups.

Or a literacy activity. Leave items of information about a person / character and ask children what they know about the character from the items, and then what they can guess using the clues (making inferences). They could then do some descriptive writing about the character, or some drama (walk like the character would walk - why do you think they would walk that way?) You could do some characterisation through action, speech or description.

There are bound to be loads of science investigations you could do too. E.g. a pool of liquid - how did it get there (changing state), how could we clean it up (materials). Have the item be something that represents a science concept and then have the children ask questions and then investigate what happens when you change the factors. E.g. balloon rocket, what would change what happened (amount of air etc.), yoghurt pot telephones - could different materials/shorter string change the effect.

Or how about some sort of code the children have to solve using Maths? A secret message left by somebody for the class. Each letter represented by a number, but each letter has a maths calculation to do to work out the answer.

4. hana54

hana54 New commenter

They're great ideas, I especially like the sound of the literacy one! Thank you so much! :)

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

DON'T USE ANY IDEAS OFFERED ON A FORUM! (and don't ask for interview ideas either)
    No matter how great the suggestion above I would now rule it out
    completely or risk losing the potential job. (If heads see a Hannah,
    guessing that's your name, teach this lesson they will wonder if you can
    cut it alone. Also other people may love the suggestion above and use an
    element in their own lesson making them all look dreadfully unoriginal)

So many heads etc are on these forums (as are other interviewees) You might be having a panic that you can't think of anything but you can! You've got this far and must have done really well to get to interview so have a little faith in yourself. YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Best of luck xx

6. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Ooo wish I'd had fab interview tasks like this. I agree with littlemissraw! This is an excellent chance to show your own creativity etc! This is what I strive to do as much as I can in my ks1 class and it sounds
    I've a school that has taken on the creative/wow ethos! If u can't think of one idea on your own,perhaps it's not the school for you. Try to think of an idea, and then perhaps ask for help to improve it etc

7. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Ohh very valid points.. I didn't think of it that way. I guess I just panicked, I enjoy creative lessons so I am sure I can think of one myself!
    Thanks everyone! xx

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

But again not on a public forum [​IMG] don't want to give your brilliant ideas away to the competition just yet! Let us know how you get on x