1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson on How Science Works - Help!

Discussion in 'Science' started by climbon, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Hi,

I have an interview where the brief is to produce a lesson for year 9 pupils on "how science works".

Has anyone done a lesson purely on this (I haven't). Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you ever so much for any pointers :)

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Have a wade through Ben Goldacre's Bad Science website for ideas. You might have fun with some woo science from there, or look at randomised controlled trials and bias and the rest. Have a look at the All Trials website. Consider the story of Helicobacter pylori and the change to treatments as a result. What about selling them the phlogiston theory (I've had great fun with this in the past, though in one class one of the pupils had been reading about it and destroyed my arguments for phlogiston far earlier in my lesson that I had planned)?

3. Thanks for your reply! I'm fascinated by the idea of selling them the idea of Phlogiston...how did this work?

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Now there is a policy here - a good one - of not sharing lesson plans etc for interview. The idea might well spark some creative fire.....a lesson plan won't. So I'm happy to give ideas, not to give details.