1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview lesson observation year 4 literacy

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mikey1433, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    First time poster here. Next week I am teaching an obseved Literacy lesson, as part of an interview, in a Year 4 class. It is around 15 years since I applied for a job and observed lessons - as part of interviews -are something I have no experience of at all. So far, my thoughts are on enjoying a poem, (The Magic Box by Kit Wright), examining the techniques used in it and going on to have the children write their own poem etc. My problem is that I would normally spend at least one and maybe two weeks doing this and I don't know how to distill this into one hour...or how to reach a clear result by covering less in the time available. Also, not sure how to handle the aspect of not knowing where the abilities are in the classroom. I would be so grateful for any advice. Thanks very much.

2. Hi all,
    First time poster here. Next week I am teaching an obseved Literacy lesson, as part of an interview, in a Year 4 class. It is around 15 years since I applied for a job and observed lessons - as part of interviews -are something I have no experience of at all. So far, my thoughts are on enjoying a poem, (The Magic Box by Kit Wright), examining the techniques used in it and going on to have the children write their own poem etc. My problem is that I would normally spend at least one and maybe two weeks doing this and I don't know how to distill this into one hour...or how to reach a clear result by covering less in the time available. Also, not sure how to handle the aspect of not knowing where the abilities are in the classroom. I would be so grateful for any advice. Thanks very much.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh the wonders of interviews after one's been out of the loop for a while.
    So congratulations on achieving an interview, that's quite a feat in itself these days.
    Theo, who is the expert, would recommend a very good book, but for starters you need to be very sure of what is the objective (or focus) of your lesson. So in your example of using a poem decide on one technique to focus on , so children's progress in using that technique can be measured.
    By the way, advice is deliberately vague, as this is a public forum and ideas can be read (and copied) by others and you wouldn't want to turn up at the same interview with the same lesson!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, mikey, we all know that because you have started a thread and given it 5 stars yourself already . . . [​IMG]
    Well done for getting an interview - not an easy thing to do nowadays, so you've had a success there.
    You have also got ages to prepare this, so that's another positive.
    The first advice that we'll give you is not to say too much on here about what you are planning to do, as it could be seen by a rival candidate.
    Secondly, plan as you would for any lesson, with differentiation up and down, but with a Plan B to allow you to move the level up or down for the whole class if necessary.
    Thirdly, don't try to cram too much in. This is really important. So start off with a lerning objective (as you do for starting the plan of any lesson) but make it limited so that it is achievable. Sort of turn round what you've done, which is think first of the activity. Get the plan first.
    Final advice: here's a book that gives excellent advice about preparing for an observed lesson, by Ofsted or for an appointment. You can get it from Amazon.
    [​IMG]
    Pimp Your Lesson!: Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and Perfect
    (Continuum Practical Teaching Guides):
    <table class="product">

<tr id="actualPriceRow"><td id="actualPriceLabel" class="priceBlockLabelPrice">Price:</td>
    <td id="actualPriceContent"><font color="#990000">&pound;10.63</font> </td></tr>

</table>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars