1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson observation, Year 1 literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stephaniejoanne, May 23, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I have the following requirements for my Y1 lesson for an interview nxt wk:

It should be 30 mins long.
    It should enrich the descriptive language of the children and result in some writing.

I am thinking of doing a character descrption based on the wild things (from where the wild things Are). I'm planning to include paired talk and success criteria, but am worried that with all 28 chn working at a table to use laminated pictures and write, it wouldn't be massively creative or daring. I think that the chn holding something would really help their descriptions as well, but not sure how this would work out. I've discounted fruit tasting bcos of the lack of time for writing. I don't want it to be too complicated or unmanageable, but don't want it to be 'safe' either! Please help! Any ideas or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks, Steph :)

2. Hi,
    I have the following requirements for my Y1 lesson for an interview nxt wk:

It should be 30 mins long.
    It should enrich the descriptive language of the children and result in some writing.

I am thinking of doing a character descrption based on the wild things (from where the wild things Are). I'm planning to include paired talk and success criteria, but am worried that with all 28 chn working at a table to use laminated pictures and write, it wouldn't be massively creative or daring. I think that the chn holding something would really help their descriptions as well, but not sure how this would work out. I've discounted fruit tasting bcos of the lack of time for writing. I don't want it to be too complicated or unmanageable, but don't want it to be 'safe' either! Please help! Any ideas or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks, Steph :)

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Instead of describing the characters in the Wild Things, why not do the setting instead?
    You could bring in lots of plants/rocks/logs etc and get the children to set up their own Wild Thing setting in trays (or you set them up and bring them in if time is an issue - one per group - you could put in your planning that if you'd had longer then the children would have set up their own mini jungles), then the children can use their jungles to generate descriptive language.
    I use splats when I do descriptive language - each has a different sense on. The children imagine they have shrunk and are in that setting and write descriptive words for each sense ie what they can feel, smell, see, hear, taste. Include magnifying glasses.
    The children can share their words at the end and use them in future lesson to write poem/story.

4. what about doimg something like here come the aliens? there are some super pics in their and will def engage the boys

5. sorry my spelling is awful!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Hi - I think this is a lovely idea but am worried about making sure there'd be enough opportunity for differentiation. I guess you'd just say in the success criteria that differentiation would be by outcome but am worried how that would go down at an interview. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

7. Hi all,
    I did do the wild things in the end- I decided on the characters not the setting finally. Thanks ever so for all your ideas!
    I chose to differentiate it by the chn making posters with adjectives/ features of the wild things scribed onto post it notes. The chn were Max from the 'wild things' story and had to warn others to watch out for the wild things as they'd followed Max home! They loved making the posters - 'watch out for the wild things' and the L/A chn used the puppets and tactile materials - eg bubble wrap, foil, spiky fir cones etc etc to ORALLY generate adjectives which an adult scribed with them. I got the job!!

However, it was a 1 year temp, so the following year i tried the same lesson (at a different school) and got - yes you guessed it - another 1 year temp. So 2012, here we are again - looking for another job! It's a shame as my first job as an NQT lasted 5 years...but what will be will be i guess.
    The good news is - the lesson went well. I loved the idea about making the settings in shoe boxes and this is something that i saw a colleague do very recently and am going to try soon. I wouldn't normally have thought of that kind of thing, so thanks for sharing guys!

Steph :)

8. I know this post is old but I have an interview for Year 1 coming up and I love this idea. Do you have any other information you could possible give me? How did you start the lesson and how did you extend the more able children?
    Thanks

9. I have a interview for a year 1 position next Monday. I need to plan a 30 minute literacy lesson with a writing focus. I am thinking of chn writing a character description. I love your idea of the wild things. I would be grateful if you could send me some more information on you lesson, Thanks

10. Ditto re this being an old post but I am being observed on Thursday by my mentor the first time in my new job as year 1 teacher. Am an NQT (1 term to go !!) so am nervous. I loved the idea of doing where the wild things are and doing the setting in shoe boxes getting the children to write describing words. Most of my children are EAL and nearly all of my class are lacking descriptive language - making the setting out in shoe boxes and describing it using their senses is a great idea (the senses also ties into our current topic). I will def be doing it!! Thank you. I have 2 very very LA groups who are still basically mark making with some attempting writing with phonics. I will work with these to do a whole group setting in a large tray give them magnifying glasses and scribe the words they give me. Unfortunately my TA will then be going for lunch 25 mins into my lesson (so I am TA-less for 55 mins. I don't get that logic but the powers hat be!!) So I will then leave my LA groups to re-enact the story in the setting we have created with masks etc. Whilst I ensure my other groups are on task. My MAs may need a word bank to help them and my HAs too. We will then stick on the describing words round an enlarged picture from the book. Thank you for the great ideas. I don't know what i'd do without this website.