1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW LESSON OBS!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Womaan, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I have an interview coming up and I have to teach 15 mixed ability Y1s phonics for 20-30 mins. What would YOU do? Am finding it SO difficult to think what to do as I won't know where to pitch it! Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Come on now, you're a professional. Or at least you want your prospective employer to think you are.
    So look at some Yr 1 (EYFS) learning objectives for phonics. Decide on one you feel confident about teaching. Include some differentiation.Include plan B in case you happen to choose something they've just done (or assume this is reveision and say so).
    Then look at some resources to teach it- use something you've used before if possible and adapt to improve, based on your assessment from last time.

3. What phase are they working on? Year 1's should be working on phase 5 but if they are mixed ability some of them may be working below this phase.
    You could do some phase 3 sounds and add in some phase 5 sounds. Remember to make sure you do the 4 parts to the session

1. revisit & review, 2. teach (something new) 3. practise 4. apply
    Louise

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would do this.
    I would recommend this as well!

In fact there was no need for me to post except to say that I agree with louisea and Best of Luck.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Phonics doesn't quite work like a normal lesson. There aren't LOs and just 'teaching' in the lesson would be a disaster for an observations.

6. Thanks for your advice. ; )