1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson: objectives vs key questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, May 7, 2012.

1. This might seem like a silly question but it is something that I am getting a bit worried about. In my usual lessons, rather than putting 'learning objectives' (e.g. 'to describe...to explain...to consider...) I use 'key questions' e.g. 'what is...? 'why...?' etc. I've heard that OFSTED are really hot on sharing learning objectives with the class and that is what I am essentially doing with my key questions, they are just phrased differently.
    My question is, for an interview lesson should I rephrase my key questions so that they are learning objectives or would it be acceptable to leave them as key questions?
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Make sure that you are following the Ofsted nomenclature in your lesson plan - which you should FORCE into the hands of whoever is observing!
    Read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Tip for next time: put Dear Theo in the title so I open it earlier!
    Best wishes.

3. Thanks, Theo. I have read the info on those links but they don't seem to answer my question?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, they weren't meant to answer your question, they were meant to give you some extra background for your interview!
    This:
    was my answer to you.
    Best wishes.

5. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

I would say you definitely need to have a learning objective for the lesson as well as key questions. The key questions would help develop the thinking or skill that you have as your learning objective.
    For example, you might ask 'How do I know this shape is not a cube'?
    This may well develop children's thinking about the properties of 3D shape, but it's too specific and not the overall objective.
    The objective would be something like: To know the properties of 3D shapes. To use common properties to describe 3D shapes, or something like that.
    OFSTED would definitely expect a learning objective to be displayed. They have a habit of asking children and support staff if they know what the learning objective is if it's not displayed as one teacher at my school found out.