1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson Maths Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oglandia, Jun 26, 2011.

1. oglandia

oglandia New commenter

I have a full hour interview lesson in a year four class of children with levels ranging from 2 to 4.
    In my last interview I was told my lesson was OK but had no wow factor. Stuck for a mixed ability lesson with Wow... Wondering about doing something on time, but not sure how I make it memorable.
    Alternative is making nets from small boxes - high ability have to work out what the box would look like flat and create an exact size copy just from taking measurements, lower ability can take it apart and remake on card/paper. Middles, can measure and roll their box to see how to re-create it...

Any suggestions please!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'd rather cut off my arm than do time with a mixrd ability class I do not know!!! I would also be concerned that shape/nets will not stand out as everyone seems to do shape lessons! If it were me I would do some kind of code breaker challenge, or a coordinates treasure hunt (differentiate using one, two & four quadrants)

3. Avoid time like the plague! You will usually have children in a y4 class who range from being able to tell the time to the nearest 5 minutes or better, to those not being able to remember how to tell half past, quarter to. In my current class one of my pupils didn't know how to work out o'clock,
    In an hour session, obviously make sure you have a warm up (a game works nicely), you main and a plenary where the children can demonstrate for the benefit of your observers that they have learnt something....it would be good for you to get them to demonstrate at the start what they know so that you can hammer home the improvement you have managed to achieve.

4. oglandia

oglandia New commenter

Thanks for the tips.
    Now thinking I might do language of problem solving...

5. Do a problem asking children to find all of the outcomes - thats an easy one to do and differentiate
    e.g. in a football match the fulltime score was 4-2 what could the half time score be.
    Children need to find pattern
    0 - 0 0-1 0 - 2 1 - 0 1 - 1 1- 2 etc
    Or how many ways can the children sit at their table of 4 finding that 1 person needs to stay put while the other 3 change. Encourage movement etc

If not try venn diagrams but with hoops on carpet and post it notes wwith children coming up and sticking numbers in correct hoops.
    Independent work can be differentiated