1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW LESSON - INTRO TO SHAKESPEARE?

Discussion in 'English' started by KezzBezz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dear teachers, I would really appreciate any whizzy ideas for a 30 minute interview lesson on 'Intro to Shakespeare' before Yr 9 students study a play in its entirety! I'm struggling a bit with how to make a general intro interactive and fun rather than factual about his life and work - would a focus on his famous coinages/neologisms be useful or too specific? Thanks:).

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

What about famous sayings which actually come from him? Or something to do with Shakespearian insults...?

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Is this a general intro or an intro to a specific play?

4. Great idea Caroline, I was thinking about insults..could they be classified as 'general intro'?

5. As far as I can gather (its very ambiguous) just a general introduction. I only have 30 minutes and need some really interactive activities.

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Most candidates will use Shakespearean insults.

7. gruoch

I agree that 'insults' is predictable - and not a great intro to Bill the Bard.
    Do you know what ability the group is?
    For Yr 9 I find that The Mechanicals work well - just an extract from one of the scenes. It's prose, so not too hard and you can get them up on their feet. I can send you some stuff if it would be helpful.
    If top set, I'd do something on iambic pentametre. With a whole load of chanting and beating the desk. And a wav. file of a heartbeat. You could try getting them to take one another's pulses, too.
    'Interactive' doesn't have to mean IWB!

8. The group is top set apparently. I really like the idea of iambic pentameter to challenge them! I agree that insults is a tad predictable and think a general introduction to Shakespeare's language would work better. Would really appreciate any stuff/ideas you have gruoch? My email is kerrymarsden@yahoo.com. Cheers :)

9. gruoch

When's the interview?
    I'll send you some stuff over the w/e if that's OK?

10. Gruoch, can I be annoying and ask for a copy too? I do a drummy lesson for iambic pentameter but its a bit airy fairy and I'd welcome a look at what you do. airside99 @ yahoo.co.uk Thank you. OP, I would think about a sonnet. I'm pretty sure I could do quick whizz through discovering the conventions of a Shakespearian sonnet in 30 minutes - I keep it fairly simple just giving groups a couple of different sonnets and asking a series of questions designed to make them notice the sonnet form and, of course, figure out what the sonnets mean.

11. Gruoch,

Thanks a mil - it's first thing Monday morning so as soon as you can would be ace. :)

12. Hi I've got a similar interview lesson to do, so I was drawn to your post, some of the ideas look really good, it might be a good idea to ask the students what their attitudes to the language are first? And then try and adress them using those techniques to help them understand, it would also help you bond with the strange class first, before launching into the activities Myfi xx

13. It's probably a bit late in the day, but how about looking at what Prologues/Epilogues are and why/how Shakespeare uses them.
    The obvious prologue to look at is Romeo and Juliet, but there's a lovely 'Epilogue' said by Puck at the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream'. It'll also give them a chance to read and get used to the language before they start their play with their teacher.
    Good luck.