1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson Independent school yr 7 no prior knowledge

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by kerrymcc30, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hi

I was wondering if someone might be able to give me a little advice! I have to teach a Yr 7 lesson and obviously as the students have no prior knowledge of Spanish then I thought that I will need to cover como te llamas and como estas. I wondered if anyone had any great ideas as it is a 35 minute lesson and I don't want to to be boring as sometimes this lesson can be as I like my lessons to be fun and want to reflect this in my observation. Thank you in advance :)

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

why do they have no prior knowledge? What have they been doing since September?

3. They only do French I believe, thank you for such a quick reply!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

.. so you need to hang your introduction to Spanish on what they already know in French.
    If you want to do como te llamas, relate it to comment tu t'appelles and talk about reflexive verbs
    Make them work out meanings using cognates and similar structures.
    If you take it as a 1st (introductory) MFL secondary lesson they will be bored to tears as they know how to do this stuff already in French.
    Just an opinion............
    x

5. Gosh, I am starting to worry now!!! I am told they are a very good group. I am not too sure about delving into reflexives in the first lesson, but I do like your idea about relating it to French. Would you start with this topic or in your experience would you prepare something different? x

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

personally I would go with something completely different.
    tengo + animal or hair/eyes or bros/sis or me gusta/no me gusta + school subjects or simple foods and you can relate vocab to French - get them to work the words out for themselves.
    I would use como te llamas when soliciting answers - if you give them the model (me llamo ....) they will pick it up soon enough
    Is it y7 Prep or y7 Secondary? There is a difference.

7. That sounds much better!! I would like to do brothers and sisters, but I suppose I just worried that they might think that I had not taken into account that they had no prior knowledge and that it would be expected of me to teach the basics. It is Year 7 prep the school goes up to Year 8. Thank you so much for your help.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

have PMed you

9. What does that mean?!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

update??