1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson Ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by triangle653, Feb 18, 2019.

1. triangle653

triangle653 New commenter

Good Morning,

I've got an interview coming up for a primary teaching post and wondered if the wonderful community on tes had any ideas/ tips!

I've got to teach a 20-minute lesson to a Year 4/5 class to expand their vocabulary. It needs to be creative!

On the invitation to interview, it states that research has discovered that children in a professional family encounter nearly twice as many words as a working-class family. A working-class family will encounter double the amount of words than a family receiving benefits. Knowing more words makes you more intelligent- a correlation between vocab size and life chance.

I've got a few ideas which need upgrading and refining:
    - Using a high-quality short story to set up a debate (?)
    - Having 'sad sentences' for the children to upgrade
    - Using a picture (maybe from pobble) to encourage better descriptions
    - Using a police hat to become the vocabulary police (putting basic words in jail)
    - Using songs or instruments for vocabulary songs/ rap etc.

I want the vocabulary to be useful to the children and something which they can use in their everyday writing, but challenging!

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

x

2. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Hi,

Congratulations on your interview.

How about a short boring story and children need to make it more interesting using new vocabulary you introduce to them.

Chn can highlight parts they would change and say why. Which words would they use.

I’m teaching KS1 so stuck for ideas for KS2. Sorry. But wish you all best. Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on getting an interview.
    I'm not the biggest Talk 4 Writing advocate, but they do have some excellent grammar and vocabulary tasks which I've found work really well - 'swapping nouns' always makes them think! You should be able to find ideas on-line, or the 'Jumpstart Literacy' book will give you more ideas.
    Best of luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you go for this one, make sure to think carefully about how the task will expand their vocabulary - rather than encourage them to use interesting words they already know.

Good luck with your interview!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I did something similar with my Y3 class. I showed them a clip of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, screen printed beginning, middle, end clips and got the children to fill in a word bank so they looked at prepositions, noun phrases etc. On each slide I had vocab that the children didn't know the meanings of so we discussed meanings and how they could be used. Differentiation was word banks for LA, thesauruses for HA. The other thing you could do is get children to make their own synonym sheets (think of the Dulux colour charts), which adjectives are more powerful and why. Play a game with chn as your starter, maybe give them words and meanings and they have to match them, give chn a dictionary, play against the clock. The key is to make sure that chn know the meanings of words.

Kartoshka and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. DFC

DFC New commenter

You only have 20 mins. It isn't long.
    Synonym happy families?

Introduce idea of synonyms.
    Sort cards into families
    Play game to reinforce.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. DFC

DFC New commenter

Extension for GDS
    Order the synonym families for word strength/intensity
    E.g. Nice, lovely, beautiful, gorgeous etc.

Use a thesaurus to check synonym families are correct for activity 2 above.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.