1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson ideas from you fabulous reception teachers!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mel9285, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I have had two years out of reception and I am sure when I finally (hopefully) get back in there it will all come flooding back. I am currently on maternity leave so feel very out of the school ethos and way of mind so need a little kick start if you are willing??? Please!

Basically the interview lesson is what ever you want! I want to show I understand the eyfs and that the chl are engaged and excited to learn and make progress any lessons you have led that you thought wow thy would have been a great observation lesson? Thought about doing a writing session focusing on children describing objects and working together to explore objects talk about them and then sound out an hopefully write their sentence. So chl will be off exploring in teams etc made more fun with the puppet needing help for his book etc

Or should I go a bit more less formal and go in with a pirate theme and have activities out such as digging for gold but only allowing chl to keep their gold if they can read the sound on the coin etc? So less teacher led more child led?? Eek any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. How long have you got with them?
    What time of day will it be?
    Do you know the children and where they are in their learning?
    Your ideas sound good, but quite ambitious with a group of children that aren't your class.
    Choosing a good story that you know well and spicing it up is an interview lesson I've observed a few times.
    I've seen one that had opportunities for children to use all their senses, where the candidate had things for them to look at, listen to, feel, smell and something to taste at the end - I think it was a seaside story.
    I've observed another candidate get children creating shapes and patterns in a response to a story, on a large paper, maybe wallpaper, making a huge piece of artwork by the end of the story. I only remember the sun and the wind at the beginning of that one.
    Stories have a wealth of opportunities for being creative and yet keep things quite simple.

3. I would love to know what books that was to. I had that idea in my head and am trying to find a book to use. I have an interview where my activity is 15-20 mins on bringing a book to live and I thought having them use their senses would be a great way. Please help if you can!!!

4. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Have a look at olivers milkshake .. a lovely story, after reading this we then explore different fruits and make a milkshake.lots of scope for describing, model writing (write a list of ingrediants .. smell/taste.texture. anything that involves food is a clear fav with the children.