1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW LESSON HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by danielles88, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi,
    As part of my interview lesson next week I have to give a (no longer than) 20 minute lesson on 'any stimulus of my choice'. I will be teaching a group of 12 year 2 students of mixed ability. I have no idea what they are currently learning and so have the freedom to choice anything to teach.

My thoughts are to do a kind of circle time/PSHE lesson where I bring with me a 'magic box' and have in it some objects that are important to me. I would then give the children a couple of mins to discuss with a partner an object that they would put in their magic box and why. I will then have the children in a circle and go round and give each child an opportunity to share what they would put. At the end of the lesson I am thinking we could play a memory game (like the supermarket game) "in my magic box i would have my teddy"...and the next person adds an item, remembering the previous items as well...) Perhaps I would also get the chn to draw their items on a little whiteboard so we can use them as prompts in the memory game...
    I would really appreciate any thoughts on whether this sounds like a good little lesson or not?!?! and how to improve/change it....
    Thanks!

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

My advice for interview lessons is to always choose a specific learning objective - I know 20 mins isn't very long but your interviewers will be looking at your teaching so make sure that you actually teach something and that the children make a step of progress. For your magic box activity you could have a speaking and listening objective linked to literacy , for example 'to use adjectives to describe an object' and then show them how to use describing words eg I would have a sparkling dress, I would have a cuddly teddy. Get them to say in partners, can they spot their partner's describing word. Hear some good examples and then extend the HA children by asking them to improve their partner's idea with a more interesting adjective etc.

3. fab - thanks for the tips. So do you think I should also incorporate the LO of 'share opinions on things that matter to them? (PSHE) or just do an adjectives task?

4. I find people always do things like this if they only have 20 minutes, that or some drama activity. Why not get them to do some writing - produce a poem from a stimilus, something like that.

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I did a maths session using directional language