1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - help!

Discussion in 'English' started by phoebe84, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have an interview this week for a job I really want, but I just can't seem to come up with anything more than a mediocre lesson plan (I've been out of teaching for a year due to ill health and am feeling quite rusty!). Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Top set y9 (all boys) mostly level 6 with a few level 7s.
    Creative writing: vocabulary and sentence structure
    (They have been studying Gothic literature).
    Thanks in advance for anything more than the usual: visuals, ban/replace the word, here's an example of creative writing for you to analyse for sentence structure and effect, feedback, now you apply this variation of sentence structure and vocabulary in your own short piece of writing!

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I've never actually tried this, but it's what my HoD has recommended I try with my own similar group of year 9s (similar apart from it's mostly girls with a smattering of boys) in an attempt to get the level 7s performing and not swinging on their chairs! I will be trying it in the next 3-4 weeks when I get them back for various lessons from our PGCE student.
    Start off with talking about a storm. Ask them to give you words to describe a storm. If they struggle to come up with anything interesting (which they likely will) tell them they should compare it to a fight. Then list words which you'd use to describe a fight (punch, kick etc... plus injuries: bruised, cut, slashed). Obviously you can build different tasks around this - think/pair/square/share etc. or whatever you want.
    Then the students write a paragraph describing a storm using these words. Then feedback is reading them and then picking up on interesting sentence structures. If you walk round while they write, you could pick up on one who is sticking to simple sentences and perhaps ask them to read theirs, and then write it on the board so they can class assess and improve.
    You would obviously need a plenary of some sort - perhaps they could highlight/underline certain sentence structures, or set themselves a target etc.
    I honestly have never tried this, but HoD has been teaching 30+ years and says it has always worked for him and requires very little preparation in terms of worksheets/hand-outs which has to be a bonus on an interview lesson when you'll be stressed enough.
    Hope it helps.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You need to be looking at Level 7 criteria. For vocabulary, you could put up some cliched similes and metaphor for the weather or a setting and get them to come up with better ones and then take it further by personifying the thunder, house or whatever. For sentence structure, maybe a recap of clauses. Put a sentences on the board and then get them to extend it by inserting clauses to delay the reader and add tension. Then get them to explain how and why they would use short sentences and fragments. You could make it more buzzy with something interactive, maybe some atmospheric music or images, and some paired progress checking. Or put the sentences on laminated card, stick on the board, and get students to write their own clauses and bring them up to the board to insert appropriately. If you laminate some punctuation marks, you could extend it by using punctuation to vary sentences for effect for most able students.

4. As well as the content, I'd be thinking about what you do to engage all of the students, as well as stretching your L7s. Think carefully about your questioning strategies - don't use hands up, use the register to use names and keep them listening.

Do you know who your L7s are in advance? Do the students know their target levels?

Use MUST > SHOUD > COULD in your learning objectives to set different levels of challenge, with the expectation that your L7s do all 3.

Do you feel confident enough to do a bit of group work? The less teacher-led your lesson is the more it encourages student independence, the better.

Good luck!

5. Thanks for the ideas folks!