1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cazzielou, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

I found out I have an interview on Wednesday in a Primary School which is a link school to the one I currently work in as PPA teacher. There are 2 posts going and I had a long chat with the head already at my visit so I am pretty hopeful that I might have a good shot.

The one thing that has come up in past interviews has been my lesson, I tend to try and do something too complicated for the time given and end up doing lots of things not very thoroughly. Obviously I don't do this as a teacher but I have a lot more flexibility and longer lessons!

I have been given the task of teaching a 20-25min lesson with a focus on reading of all things. I know about doing guided reading sessions with small groups but I can't recall ever doing a whole class lesson on reading. I know the school have a big focus on reading comprehension at the moment and their guided reading sessions include writing in their reading record book about the book they have been reading.

So I know I have to do something with reading comprehension, but I am stumped as to how I could do this with a whole class of year 2's!

Do I read them a short story then do some drama surrounding it (hot seating or something) or do I do a guided reading type activity? (write about a character in the story/event etc) I obviously can't get the whole class to read the same book as they won't have enough and plus I wouldn't know what the book is previously! I have absolutely no idea what kind of thing they are expecting of me!

I am currently thinking about reading a book to them and then doing a comprehension activity of some kind (in 25min it won't be anything written probably) and then in the interview afterwards explaining that this would be the sort of activity I would do with a small group, with them reading the book independently. I would also talk about the importance of children listening to books as well as reading them to develop their reading skills (reading along with the words)

Anyone have any suggestions??

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Don't ask for or share your interview ideas on a public forum!
    You have been invited to interview because YOU are a good teacher (or your letter suggests that you have the potential to be).
    If

the HoD or anyone is on these forums and you turn up with resources
    suggested or given to you on here I can more or less guarantee you won't
    be getting the
    job! Also there may be other people on here who are going for the same interview so you don't want to give your ideas away either!
    I'm sure you have loads
    of great ideas of your own, have a little faith in yourself and create a
    fabulous interview lesson. Good Luck, you can do it!! [​IMG]

3. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

I don't want ideas as such, I can think up my own ideas for the lesson. I am just a little confused at what the school are expecting. How other people would interpret the task as I have never taught such a session and don't really understand what sort of thing they want me to do as it would be impossible to get a whole class to read the same book themselves, and would it be satisfactory to read a story to them, as their focus as a school is to get the children reading.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I think that may be part of what they're looking for- how YOU interpret the task and would set about trying to impart it to the children.
    So think of a specific part ot 'reading' which you could teach as the focus of your lesson. e g decoding or comprehension to name just 2 . Then think of how you can impart that to the children. Find resources to do it and then think how you can quantify if they've progressed during your lesson.