1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - help!

Discussion in 'English' started by thandroo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hi all, I have an interview next week (Secondary English) and I'm required to teach a 25 minute lesson to year 8 (Levels 5-7) on writing to analyse, review and comment.
    I'm a bit stuck as to what would be the best way to do it. I'm thinking about using advertisements from magzines, etc that sell the same product and asking the class to compare the two, looking at language devices used in each and extending that to meet the interview requirements.
    Not sure what adverts to use as I want something that is current, high impact and relevant to their lives. If it was a class of boys - Xbox adverts are a quick and easy option, but I don't if the class is single sex or mixed (not to say that girls don't play Xbox, but it's pretty much a given that most don't!)
    I need this differentiated as well and will need to produce a lesson plan as though it's a 60 minute lesson.
    If anyone has any advice - please respond.
    Thandroo

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    I tend to approach interview lessons as 'normal' lessons but with some tweaks. Remember they will want to see a good, preferably outstanding lesson, so you need to build into your planning good or outstanding progress.
    I like your idea, but do you think it may be possibly leaning a little too much towards persuasive devices rather than analysing? I see what you are doing (analysing the effects) but I think in 25 minutes it could potentially be confusing?
    I wouldn't worry too much about making it 'relevant' (to their lives) either - don't forget not all of them will be interested in the same things. In the past when I have taught this topic I have presented a suggestion to a change to the school day, with years 7, 8 and 9 leaving 10 minutes earlier then years 10, 11 and the sixth form and teach them to analyse its effects - that is as relevant as it needs to be.
    I will have a think for you! When is your interview - good luck x

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

My first thought is that your lesson sounds like a reading task, rather than a writing one. If you're looking at writing to review or analyse, you will need something that teaches how to write rather than how to read, if you see what I mean. How about a film clip and two paragraphs reviewing, one positive and the other criitical. If you write them yourself, you could ensure that there are the obvious (a disappointing performance in one and the opposite in the other) and something more sophisticated (some metaphors, for example). A bit on discussing these with some highlighting or a table maybe and then you could show another clip from a different film and get them to write a paragraph using the language devices they've identified. This is just a starting thought and you can probably work out something better, but I do think you should be aiming at students writing and not analysing.

4. Gloria - yes, I see your point. Perhaps I could go down the route of reviewing a film trailer - Harry Potter is being released next week!
    My interview is on Monday - short notice! I thought I had resources for this but it appears not, hence the slight panic!