1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson - French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by timboleicester123, May 9, 2011.

1. remember to give a copy of the plan to the observers and mention what level the work is and what to do to get to the next level and get some assessment for learning in.

2. Keep it simple is the best piece of advice! Having observed MFL interview lessons recently, the biggest mistake made was trying to cram too much in and stressing the kids out! By this point the students should know opinion phrases so what you suggest sounds achievable. Remember to stretch the most able (perhaps get them to link opinions with connectives?) and support the least able ( with a list of the key phrases?). Mini white boards are a great, simple way to evidence that students are using the language well and gives an opportunity for peer and teacher correction / praise of fantastic work. BTW take labels in so that the kids can write their names and you can refer to them - makes such a difference when trying to engage all, not just the 1 kid who is keen to answer everything!

Best of luck!

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I definitely agree with the advice to keep it simple. There's no point having a million differentiated worksheets and kids moving around the classroom loads when you don't know who to target for differentiation, or how the kids will respond to different activities.

Name tags are a great idea - when I had loads of interviews last year I always made them in advance (cut some plain card to size and folded it) so kids just had to write their names on them. Then you can avoid hands-up questioning and pick on individual pupils to get everyone involved, which gives you a big tick in the AfL box.

Have differentiation available to all, by having an extension on the end of any individual task and scaffolding/chunking your lesson objectives so the difficulty builds up gradually.

Visual support is a great idea for less able pupils who will struggle to retain vocabulary. In my last intervew lesson I did a sheet where pupils matched vocabulary to pictures by writing numbers in boxes (like the pdf file here - https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Year-7-classroom-schoolbag-objects-6355230/ ) so it didn't take them ages to fill in. If your vocabulary includes a lot of cognates, this could be a starter - otherwise present the vocabulary and go through pronunciation, then get them to fill in the sheet to test what they remember.

Whilst mini-whiteboards are fantastic, I probably wouldn't use them in a 20 minute lesson. It takes time to get them out and put them away, and they only work well if kids are well-trained into using them sensibly - you don't know if these kids are.

The most important thing is to show progress, so I would definitely include opinions with some simple connectives and reasons (even if it's just c'est super / c'est nul ). That way you can show progress from learning the key phrases --> expressing likes and dislikes --> justifying opinions, and link these to levels.

I broke down my objectives into mini chunks for the plenary and got pupils to rate themselves by holding up fingers to show how confident they were with each objective. So if my main objectives were "To know key vocabulary for free time activities", "To be able to give opinions of free time activities", I would ask them if they agreed with:

-I can understand at least 5 free-time activities in French when I see them written down

-I can say 5 free-time activities from memory

-I can say which activities I like

-I can say which activities I dislike

-I can build longer sentences with connectives and reasons.

This way, all kids should show they can do something at the end of the 20 minutes that they couldn't before, even if you have to miss something out.

Another tip, which the observers really liked in my recent interview lesson, is to write some notes on your lesson plan about what you would do if you had a normal (50 minute/1 hour) lesson rather than 20 minutes. That also gives you some ideas to talk about in the formal interview when they ask you what you would have done differently.

4. I always worry a little with "interview lesson advice" posts where the advice goes beyond the generic. Maybe I'm a competitor for the same job and will now turn up with a lesson almost identical to yours...

5. Actually, maybe I shouldn't worry - if I am a competitor, I now have lots of great ideas ;)