1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview lesson. Exploring different ways to measure reaction times.

Discussion in 'Science' started by gillfrae, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have to conduct a 15 minute lesson on exploring different ways to measure reaction times to 12 GCSE students and I am looking for any ideas. Everywhere I look there is the dropping the ruler experiment but surely there are other ways to measure reaction times? Any help would be gratefully received.

2. Hi
    I have to conduct a 15 minute lesson on exploring different ways to measure reaction times to 12 GCSE students and I am looking for any ideas. Everywhere I look there is the dropping the ruler experiment but surely there are other ways to measure reaction times? Any help would be gratefully received.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There are some computer based one online where you have to press a key when a colour change occurs. Don't have a URL though.

4. Yeah I have seen a few of these but that way you can only have one pupil doing this at the one time, and its trying to think of ways to engage the whole class.

5. Have a look at the following

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

http://www.practicalbiology.org/areas/intermediate/control-and-communication/reflex-actions/measuring-reaction-time-of-a-human-reflex-action,88,EXP.http
    there are some good ideas in here....
    Why not stick with the simple experiement - its what the students get out of it that matters - I like the idea of looking at controlling variables - I think it lends itself nicely to HSW accuracy, reliability etc.....
    the ideas in the link are also useful because you could then talk about how you could expand the lesson - don't forget safety considerations and that you would need parental permission to give students caffeine containing drinks....
    Hope this helps

6. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf
    I use this and compare with ruler dropping. There is a conversion table of distance ruler has fallen to time taken (ie reaction time) here:
    www.open2.net/labrats/downloads/g-force.doc