1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Lesson - 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cleversparkle, Jan 25, 2016.

1. cleversparkle

cleversparkle New commenter

I have been offered an interview for an English teacher post and asked to deliver a 15 minute lesson. I'm torn between trying to fit in a full lesson so that I can show how pupils have met learning intentions and just delivering a starter activity alongside a plan for a full lesson.

The brief specifically states a 15 minute 'lesson', not a segment of a lesson. Does anybody have any advice on the best approach?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well we've been advised not to give specific advice on open fora, though in fact you haven't asked for that, so well done.
    Anyway my suggestion would be to plan a full lesson and then decide which elements to include within that 15 mins which you will actually deliver,bearing in mind (unless criteria have changed?) that you need to show progression / outcomes.
    Best of luck with it and fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think they will be looking for some teaching, some individual/pair/group work, and a plenary to assess learning. Obviously in 15 minutes you won't have time for much, but as they have said 'lesson' I think that's what you should try to do, rather than just a starter activity. I might be wrong, though!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, try a mini lesson,and you could also consider having an extra lesson plan showing what you would have done in 45 mins.

For your 15 min one, have a section at t he bottom suggesting follow up work.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview
    I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

5. cleversparkle

Thank you for all your advice, you have all really just reaffirmed my thoughts. I have gone for a lesson plan detailing what the full lesson would look like and will deliver a much shorter, simpler version on the day. The brief also mentioned that candidates are responsible for setting their own learning intentions and success criteria so I assume they also want to see evidence that pupils have met/achieved these which implies they do indeed want the full shebang (or as much shebang as you can fit into 15 minutes!)

Theo - I am really hoping I get to start that new thread as this is the latest in a very long line of interviews and I am starting to think I'm a bit useless ;)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Shouldn't think so, or you wouldn't be shortlisted so often in the first place!

Good luck for this time . . .

7. Lara mfl 05

Hold on to that positivity. As Theo says they have shortlisted you, so on paper you already look good.Now all you have to do is convince them at interview that you're their ideal candidate.

8. cleversparkle

You're all so lovely and encouraging! Hopefully I will have good news tomorrow...if not, I've got another one next week. Onwards!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck!

11. cleversparkle

Sadly, no new thread this time. Thank you all for your good wishes and advice. Onwards and upwards to the next one on Wednesday.

12. Lara mfl 05

Commiserations @cleversparkle . Good that you're feeling positive though.
    I know Theo usually recommends chocolate so here's one of my usual contributions
    [​IMG]

13. cleversparkle

Thanks @laramfl (I hope I've tagged this correctly,this 'new' tes is a bit baffling for me)

I took lots of positives from today and was pipped by someone with a bit more relevant, recent experience. It was a good experience though as I've never been asked to teach at interview before.

Look for 'that' thread on Wednesday next week!

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Sorry to hear you weren't successful this time @cleversparkle I wish you good luck for next week.

If you want to tag someone then after the @ sign start typing their user name without a space. You should see a menu of suggestions ready to autofill after you've typed in the first 3 letters. Click at the end of the name you want from the list. You didn't quite complete Lara's full username - @Lara mfl 05

cleversparkle likes this.
  15. cleversparkle

If you want to tag someone then after the @ sign start typing their user name without a space. You should see a menu of suggestions ready to autofill after you've typed in the first 3 letters. Click at the end of the name you want from the list. You didn't quite complete Lara's full username - @Lara mfl 05[/QUOTE]

Thanks @marlin

marlin likes this.
  16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You're welcome :)

... and the tag worked! :D

cleversparkle likes this.
  17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, commiserations from me too, @cleversparkle . And of course, fingers crossed, all of them, for Wednesday.

[​IMG]

Best wishes