1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

***Interview Issue!***

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by _missp, Nov 14, 2019.

1. _missp

_missp New commenter

Hi there,

I am an NQT currently on long term supply at a school but have been offered an interview for a full time position elsewhere.

I don’t really want to make my current workplace aware I’m looking for other work but what do I do regarding my interview?!

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks so much!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you need time off for the interview you MUST ask.
    You will need to name the current school in your application.
    You will need to name your current HT as a referee. If you don't, you won't even get to a shortlist.

If you are supply your school will be all too well aware that you'll be looking for a permanent post. It won't be a surprise: it's entirely normal.

Always best to do these things face to face if you can. Go and tell the HT what you plan and what you hope. Ask for time off; ask for them to be a referee. If you can, discuss your application with them; you might be able to suggest what aspects you'd like them to emphasise. If you find out that your HoD will be writing the reference, which the HT will simply sign, you need to have the discussion with them.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. _missp

_missp New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply! Your comments make total sense!

The reason I feel I’m in a difficult position is that although I’m only on supply with the school, I have a fair bit of responsibility-I’m in charge of a subject as well as leading clubs etc. so I’d feel I was letting them down!

4. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

You are letting no-one down. Stop and think. Your current HT has probably resigned from several jobs in order to achieve that position. No remotely reasonable HT would even hint of that.

5. _missp

_missp New commenter

Thank you! I know, I need to be selfish in this situation! Do you know what I would have to give in terms of notice on long term supply?