1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview in two days, help needed!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by emthenem, Oct 4, 2015.

1. emthenem

emthenem New commenter

As I was heading for a weekend away on Friday, I received an email inviting me to an interview on this coming Tuesday. My lesson observation is for a 45 minute literacy lesson, of which I can pick the focus. It's a mixed year class from Years 3-6 with levels ranging from 2c to 4 and with some SEN students in the class. (This is all of the information that was on the interview brief.) I'm at a complete loss as to where to start as my last job was in a secondary school and I feel like I've forgotten everything from my primary PGCE and I'm in a bit of a panic. Any help would really appreciated, thank you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview! Especially as you have no recent Primary experience - you have really impressed them. So that's good for starters.

Start by thinking of a really good lesson that you have given in the past. What was it that made it so successful? Bear that in mind.

Then think of the objectives of your observed lesson. You will need differentiated objectives with this range, but make sure that you have high expectations, yet are prepared to be flexible if you have got the level wrong. How will you (a) achieve these objectives and (b) show that they have been achieved? Progress is important, so show it. Then look back at your best class - is there anything there that could help achieve the objectives.

Then work on from that . . . including one or two lines at the end of how you would develop this work in follow-up lessons, perhaps.

Feel confident in your ability to help this group of pupils to learn and progress - you managed it with yr 7, so can with this mixed group too!

P.S. Jobseekers might be the forum for you next time, rather than this one.

Good luck!