1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview in FE

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by linz40, Apr 22, 2016.

1. linz40

linz40 New commenter

Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice, I have an interview at an FE college teaching dance after 4 years of working in secondary education. I completed my PGCE in FE and gained QTLS but ended up in secondary due to a lack of jobs in FE so its been a number of years since I was in an FE environment.

I have to prepare a SOW for the interview and am really struggling to remember how they differ from a SOW prepared for secondary teaching. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Also wondered if there have been any new developments while I've been away? I know there are some new OFSTED requirements for engaging with PDBW, English and Maths but is there anything else?

How are things shaping up with the new requirements to stay in education? Is there anybody working in my field who has noticed an increase in numbers signing up for the sake of being on a course?

Thanks in advance!

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Can't help with anything to do with teaching your subject, apart from the fact that SOW in FE will be very similar to those in secondary. Don't forget many of your students will be 16 yrs or so.

However, just to point out something which I'm sure you are aware of anyway. Don't cite anything to do with getting away from secondary teaching as your motivation to enter FE. Don't even get sidetracked into any comments on the state of secondary, just give positive reasons all the time.
    Best wishes for your interview.

3. gupster85

gupster85 New commenter

Hi,

I currently work in FE. In terms of schemes, it is subject dependent. They tend to be more "
    vocational" in that they link to employment and employability skills. There is a huge push due to funding on English and Maths and if you can be shown to include this, that is great. To be honest it is much the same as the previous poster said with an obvious focus on vocation.