1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Ideas pllleeeeeeeeeease!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kirstym1990, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hey
    I have an interview coming up and have been asked to teach a 30min numeracy lesson linked to their topic 'we are britain.' Does anyone have any ideas??? It has to be fun and interactive.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

:)

2. Hi,

What year group is it with? Initial idea - look at money?

3. As it's an interview lesson and the school are deciding whether to employ YOU, I consider it vital that you come up with your own idea!!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

General advice on Jobseekers forum who pose this question gives roughly the same advice. If you use other people's ideas and things go pear-shaped you will have no idea how to adapt those ideas on the spot. Ditto if the abilities of the class are different to expectations/technology fails etc.
    Plus any ideas seen on a public forum may be copied by others. Suppose you both end up at the same interview? You'd probably both not get the job.Headteachers too read these fora and you wouldn't want them to think you couldn't plan your own lessons now would you?
    My general advice to all who ask this question is to go with an idea YOU are comfortable with (passionate even better), possibly adapt something youi know has worked well in the past (teaching or on placement). Plan your objective so you know what you're aiming for. Plan how you'll 'test' that in your plenary and the rest should fall in to place.

5. SmileAndNod

SmileAndNod New commenter

Depending on the year band, there's lot of things you could do -
    Map work
    Coordinates
    Money
    Prepare a British party/picnic give them an Argos catalogue and ask them to select objects to use in their party, costing approporiately.
    I think it's absolutely fine to draw inspiration from forums and other people's ideas - no one is expecting you to reinvent the wheel, the majority of things we teach on a day to day basis are taken from other people's ideas, it would be impossible to plan new things for every class, nor is it always beneficial. Just make sure you personalise any lesson/idea you do take, tailor it and make it your own. Good luck!

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

You could do measures - create your own cocktail for a Jubillee celebration. Something to do with distance, looking at the olympic (events or torch route).

7. I set lesson tasks and observe lessons as part of the interview process in our school. I always look on here to see what ideas are being banded around. I have also seen a number of lessons fall flat because it is clear the teacher doesn't own them.
    I stand by the fact that it's your interview and you need to be you and bring your ideas. Not ask teachers on a forum to do it for you!

8. SmileAndNod

SmileAndNod New commenter

I'm not sure kirstym1990 is asking people 'to do it for' her/him. I think she/he is asking for inspiration, which shhe/he would presumably build upon and personalise to make their own.
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't even want to work in a school where they punish a student for using somebody else's good idea as inspiration for a lesson! I believe that this is what teachers do on a daily basis.
    When I observe such lessons taught by students, I am looking for a confident individual who can interact with the children, control behaviour and enable progress. I am not particularly focused on what they teach (especially not for a half hour slot, with an unknown class), my focus is much more the general teaching skill.
    kirstym1990, my advise is to have a look through previous forums, get a general idea and then personalise it to make it your own. Aim to include positive reinforcement, self assessment and a stimulas to excite/inspire the children.
    I hope it goes well for you!