1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview ideas for a 15 minute mental maths lesson for Year 6 class.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by eleanorleedham, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I have got an interview coming up on Friday and have to present a 15 minute mental maths lesson for a year 6 class. I am so stuck as to what to do, my placements were in yr 5 and yr1 so have no teaching experience in this age group. All I can think of is games to play with year 1 children.
    Has anyone got any ideas? I would like to play some games if possible so the chn are engaged and enjoying it, but I don't know which area of maths to aim it at.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

2. I have got an interview coming up on Friday and have to present a 15 minute mental maths lesson for a year 6 class. I am so stuck as to what to do, my placements were in yr 5 and yr1 so have no teaching experience in this age group. All I can think of is games to play with year 1 children.
    Has anyone got any ideas? I would like to play some games if possible so the chn are engaged and enjoying it, but I don't know which area of maths to aim it at.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

3. You'll find that most people in the Maths forum teach secondary, so you may want to try posting in the Primary section as well.
    Secondly, surely you must have SOME idea? Imagine one of your interviewers comes on here and sees that you are totally lost - would you give you a job in that case?
    Even though you've only done Yr 5 and Yr1, think about what you did with Yr5 and then ask what the natural next step would be (surely you must have an idea of that - otherwise, what extension tasks did you have in mind?). That would be my starting point if I had to plan a session above a level which I had previously taught.
    Finally - be careful of saying things like you want to "play some games so the children are engaged and enjoying it". It seems very wishy washy and doesn't sound like their learning is your number one priority (I'm not saying that it isn't your main focus, but you're not making it very clear with your wording).

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Start with what you want them to learn.
    Then decide how you are going to go about it.
    Then decide how the evidence of this learning is going to be shown to you, or to the observer.
    Then decide how you see the exercise developing. The best exercises are not isolated examples but part of a rational sequence of learning that has a purpose and a methodology behind it.
    Write your lesson plan, think about how it is going to go, imagine the worst case scenario and then modify it so that the learning is maximised.
    Good luck.

5. Thanks for your help with this, I will go through it progressively as you suggest.

6. Thanks for your help, although I am not totally lost, I just wondered if anyone had any good ideas about which topic would be best suited for an interview. I do not mean games to be wishy washy, merely that they are doing something such as bingo for example, as a starter in order to get them intrigued about what they are going to learn.
    However, that being said I appreciate your feedback and reply to my post.