1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - how honest to be?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rabbit34, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I had a frankly horrible time at my previous school so I left and did supply for a bit. I now have an interview. I fully expect they will ask why I left my previous position. Do I tell the truth - workplace bullying, inconsistent and ineffective management, unrealistic and constant pressures etc or gloss over it? I don't want to be unprofessional but I don't want to lie either

2. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Oh - I wrote what I thought was a considered yet witty response to your question and didn't post it properly!!

Don't criticise your previous school - under any circumstances. This is the etiquette for any job / career, whether in teaching or not. Don't do it - they certainly would not like to hear it. Think about how you dealt with challenging issues and sell yourself.

Good luck.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

They will ask.

Rachelpaula is completely correct - do not criticise your previous school under any circumstances. The onus is on you to think about how you dealt with difficult circumstances, and be as positive as possible.

Teaching is a very small world - you never know if previous colleagues/management will turn up at your new school!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus: frankly, if I heard a candidate criticising a current or past school, I would be reluctant to have them on board. I would be concerned that you would go out into the wide, wide world and criticise my school . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Initially I just said I'd moved to supply due to family commitments, then i said it was to gain experience in primary (I moved from secondary to primary). Nobody ever questioned It, and if they suspected anything then I guess they respected the fact I didn't call the previous school. Sounding angry and bitter doesn't do anyone any favours. however, lots of people have bad experiences and I guess heads know this, they are no daft!

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Here's a true story: candidate is released from contract due to persistant unsatisfactory performance, despite school putting all the support in place. Candidate gets interview at another school, informs interviewing DHT and HoF that the HoF and HoD at previous school were "bullies". Candidate does not realise that the interviewing HoF is also friends with last HoF...

...and does not get the job.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Mind you, CW, to be honest, in that case the candidate wouldn't have got the job anyway because

the interviewing HoF would have spoken to her/his friend and asked So what was it with Theo Griff? She's applied for a job with us, how come she left you?

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Incredibly, they did get an interview - because they fudged their application form and claimed they'd left for "personal reasons."

Truth really is stranger than fiction in this case!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

A little confused here. You say to put the whole truth - and yet to not badmouth a school. How is someone who has been bullied out to state this? Suspect I'd put "personal reasons" in this case, yet this is called "fudging"?

Hopefully, it won't be an issue for me personally, but does seem to be a "rock and hard place" situation for this in such a position.

11. I generally haven't been asked why I left my last job for supply, and if they do ask my general response is 'it wasn't the right environment for me.' No-one has ever asked me to expand on this. I figure they read between the lines seeing as (as far as I'm aware) my reference is fine.

12. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Ah! Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, don't ever put personal reasons.

That always looks dicey, can even suggest that you were asked to leave!

If you actually DO have personal reasons, explain briefly: To move nearer family, or perhaps Mother's illness

Best wishes