1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview help!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by amara01202, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I've got my first interview for a Year 3/4 class for an NQT post.
    The subject for my 40 minute observed lesson is 'writing' for a mixed class of 30 children. I have also been told that the school value this term is 'cooperation'.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience with this age group!
    At the moment I'm thinking of a 'poetry slam' to keep things engaging and fast paced and the school seems to be quite big on creative learning. But this would be a risk for me as I have not done it before! But I thought I could link it to the theme of cooperation, and have them working in groups to create their poems together.
    Any thoughts or other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'd have them completing the task in pairs over groups personally - to keep them all active and on task. I can't comment on your task as I have no idea what a poetry slam is! Have a fun verbal starter to generate some vocab.

3. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

How about working in pairs and then getting each child to read the other childs work back to them. 2 stars and a wish strategy. "Oh Ian I like your use of connectives and your neat writing, perhaps you could remember your capital letters at the start of sentences next time. "Thanks Ralph"
    Talk about peer learning and children learning from their peers.