1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Scribbles10, May 27, 2011.

1. I have an interview and have to do a small group activity, Last time this happened I was so nervous that I made a right mess of it. I know I can teach - I have had excellent Ofsted observations. But I just seem unable to be able to do it in front of an interview panel. Can anyone offer some words of advice? E.g. things to focus on etc. I have read Theo's interview tips and I know I am ok in actual interview but I just seem to lose my teaching ability in an interview situation :-(

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Somehow you have to just concentrate on the children & how youre' going to achieve the learning objective & move them on.Then one tends to forget about the observers. I find it's before the lesson that's the difficult part- when I'm in with the children I'm too busy!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done foir getting that interview, and for reading the Interview Tips. (In the Welcome thread, for anyone else reading this).
    The children won't be bothered too much about being observed - so just go along with them and try and forget them.
    But do do your preparation well. I should be asking for commission from Amazon for what I am about to say:
    buy this book!
    [​IMG]Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I'm hearing you loud and clear. I can't teach in front of a panel either, I become so self aware that I rush through things and probably spoon feed too much, my interview lesson yesterday was an absolute disaster [​IMG] Like you, I know I can teach pretty well, so it's maddening. My application is getting me lots of interviews and they must be thinking "how can she be so good on paper and have such glowing references and be SO RUBBISH?"
    I don't even really have any constructive advice, I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. There is nothing worse than the humiliation of making yourself seem incompetent in front of people who you're hoping will offer you a job, I came out of my interview yesterday and cried because I knew how badly I'd messed it up and felt so angry with myself.
    The book mentioned above is really good, btw.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it's actually a very good read, as well as helpful.

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!