1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emjy83, May 11, 2011.

1. I've got an interview next week, and I've got to teach an hours maths lesson to a year 5/6 class. They've finished their current unit, and Y6 have just done their SATs, so I can choose any area of maths I like.
    Big problem is it's a mixed ability class with everything for level 1 - level 5 in there.
    I was thinking problem solving or investigation of some sort but would appreciate any help.
    Where should I get my objective from and my I cans and what about differentiation?

2. Is this a serious question?!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Is THIS a rhetorical question?

4. emjy83

I suggest that you start with a lesson that you have previously taught well and extrapolate for the class in question

That way you will know the key objectives for part of the groups and can go up and/or down from there
    Where do you usually get them from?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. If the OP were to miraculously get the job, I wonder if we'd get her on here daily asking people to supply her with objectives, lesson plans, etc for five lessons a day.

6. Thank you.
    I don't really mean 'where' do I get my objective but what year group should I use?
    I've taught mixed ability and mixed age groups before, but never with such a vast range of levels.

7. No nedd to be rude. I'm just looking for support.

8. Middlemarch

There's 'support' and 'Despite being an apparently trained teacher, I haven't got a clue what to do'.
    Re-read what you wrote and see why we inferred the latter.
    With regard to selecting the appropriate objective - that's the task of the candidates here and of the person appointed on a daily basis. Your training must have prepared you for this?

9. Sorry...I was under the impression that teachers generally like to help each other out.
    I'm sure you remember the nerves that interviews bring...oddly enough I'm just trying to compensate for that. And yes maybe my wording wasn't entirely clear, but I would have hoped you would have been able to realise what I meant.
    Believe me I won't bother asking again if all I'm going to get is abuse.

10. Middlemarch

Where's the 'abuse'?
    Teachers will work together to support each other - but you're asking strangers to tell you how to get a job, without actually showing you've made any effort for yourself. If you're appointed because of that help - and not because you were able to do it for yourself - how do we know you're going to be competent enough to do the job on a daily basis?
    On the other hand, you could do what some people do and describe your plan - starting with LO - and ask for constructive criticism.

11. I think it was Bauble who noticed that there was a sudden rush of posters coming out of the woodwork and here is another one. You joined 4 years ago emj and are only just posting now?
    If you do as Mm suggests you will probably find more support.