1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Help - Pre 1914 Poetry

Discussion in 'English' started by tigerleaf, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I've just heard that I have an interview on Tuesday and I wondered if anyone could offer any help. I've got to teach a GCSE group for forty minutes on a poem of my choice. It has to be pre-1914 and NOT appear on any GCSE/iGCSE anthology. This obviously means that most of the online resources are unsuitable!
    I thought about doing Wordsworth's 'Composed Upon Westminster Bridge' and analysing it by making a mind map but am unsure. I am a GTP student and not that experienced teaching poetry. The school is very traditional and quite academic so I don't think that they'll be looking for anything flashy - more teacher-led. Any ideas for the structure of this? I am slightly worried...!
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Hello,
    I've just heard that I have an interview on Tuesday and I wondered if anyone could offer any help. I've got to teach a GCSE group for forty minutes on a poem of my choice. It has to be pre-1914 and NOT appear on any GCSE/iGCSE anthology. This obviously means that most of the online resources are unsuitable!
    I thought about doing Wordsworth's 'Composed Upon Westminster Bridge' and analysing it by making a mind map but am unsure. I am a GTP student and not that experienced teaching poetry. The school is very traditional and quite academic so I don't think that they'll be looking for anything flashy - more teacher-led. Any ideas for the structure of this? I am slightly worried...!
    Many thanks in advance!

3. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I'd be a little careful here; academic students need to be encouraged to learn independently - ideas that haven't been spoonfed are what makes an A* essay. I imagine you should show use of AfL in your lesson - student progress seems to be key with inspectors at the moment and a good HOD will be aware of this.
    I'd suggest you think of a theme which will help them connect to the poem you choose. Could you do a historical context based lesson and use the irony of students recently being kettled on Westminster Bridge? Wordsworth was, after all, greatly influenced by the French Revolution! I'm not sure if it's in any of the anthologies but I observed an excellent lesson based on "London" by Blake. The teacher had images of the darker side of modern day London and then got the students linking these to Blake's message. They then moved on to exploring his use of rhythm, imagery etc - how does Blake create the tone of the poem?
    You've got a huge spectrum of poems to choose from here, so I'd definitely look at one which will engage and interest them. Be guided by who/what is put in the anthologies; they are (hopefully!) chosen for a reason. Donne and Marvel are always popular with students because they love the bawdier aspects of the poems, and Browning's monologues are also usually engaging. All have a huge catelogue to choose from!
    Good luck!

4. I got the job! Absolutely delighted, didn't imagine I'd be able to get a job like that this early in my career, especially as the other candidates had more experience. Really loved the school and the lesson went really well. Thank you for all the advice, it was heeded! I did Milton's sonnet on his blindness.