1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview help (please!)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LizzieSnelson1, Jun 25, 2017.

1. LizzieSnelson1

LizzieSnelson1 New commenter

Hey guys!
    I've got an interview for a Reception teaching job coming up, and as part of the interview I've been asked to observe the children in their outdoor environment and then feed back to a panel about my observations. I'm well aware and used to the standard teaching a lesson to a class of children whilst being observed (which I will also be doing) but this has thrown me a little. There is no other info other than 'you will be observing children outside and feeding back your observations to a panel'. Has anybody else experienced this at interview? Or does anybody have any idea of what they are hoping/looking for me to record/feedback to them?
    Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

2. Lgn1993

Lgn1993 New commenter

Slightly different but I had to observe two reception children whilst they wete playing, and feedback to the panel their strengths interests skills and where they would be in regards to development matters and next steps. It went really well. Good luck x

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It could be that you are beings asked to evaluate the provision outdoors through what the children are doing rather than observing a specific child's learning.
    so I would be looking at what the children are doing, which spaces are they using, how engaged are they, what teaching is happening (using ofsted definition of teaching) and then what you might do to extend learning.
    I might be barking up the wrong tree of course, but if you state in your feedback what you did, you are explaining your interpretation.
    good luck

4. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I should think they will be looking for you to comment on the children interactions and how they relate to the p levels. Evidence of learning in reception is often through observation so I guess they will be looking to see if you know the expected levels?

5. Justkeepingup

Justkeepingup New commenter

I would imagine that they'll be looking for you to identify the learning that is happening, how the children are using the resources and how engaged they are. You may then be expected to explain how you would move the learning on whilst using the children's apparent interests. It would help you to familiarise yourself with the curriculum expectations for Reception (I work in Wales so I'm not familiar with the English documents / terminology myself). Don't be thrown by the outdoor aspect, they might want to see that you understand that this is as important an area of provision for learning as indoors, and that the children are actually learning rather than 'just playing'. Observing children's play is a vital tool for the assessment and planning cycle in early years, so I would think that the school want to find out about your skills in this area. Good luck!

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You didn't mention where you are but England doesn't use p levels in EYFS. Maybe cellerdore is working in Scotland or elsewhere?

Justkeepingup likes this.