1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Science' started by carmenroberts14, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I have an interview next week and I have been asked to teach a 20 minute lesson on either 'Extracting Vegetable Oil' or 'Cooking with Vegetable Oil' from AQA. As my current school use OCR I am at a loss about what I need to include in my lesson. With it only being 20 minutes I am struggling with the idea whether or not to include a practical...and if not what sort of activity could I include instead? Help!!!!! All ideas welcome..................

2. 1: look at the AQA website and see what is required.
    2: think, then put YOUR ideas on here - ask people what they consider the good points and the bad points to be.
    3: I always advocate NOT doing a practical on interview: you don't know the pupils, you don't know the room, you don't know the school procedures and rules, you've not used their version of the equipment - hence a valid Risk Assessment is beyond you.

3. Thank you.

I was thinking of maybe going through the stages of extracting oil from seeds and doing some sort of worksheet around this.....but this sounds boring to me.
    I was also thinking of maybe giving them a seed and getting them to think of ways of getting the oil from the seed in groups?

Any comments?

4. http://www.sciencelab.org.uk/gcses/chemistry-unit-1.php have a look here at what the pupils have to know. Some osrt of group/collaborative exercise would be better that a worksheet I would say.